7/14/21

2021 MLB Draft - Mets Pick # 10-.92 - LHP - Keyshawn Askew (UPDATED) - New Info + Mack's spin

 


Keyshawn Askew

 

Mack's Take - 

As many of you know, I am a big fan of the Clemson Tigers and follow this team throughout the year. I have also seen him pitch  three times this season and, I have to tell you, I was very disappointed at both what this team did this year and the performance of Askew.

I don't know if there is a place in this game for a pitcher that throws less than 90. 

Askew was one of the three starters for the Tigers, and the least successful.

I have been wrong before... just ask Brandon Nimmo... but I don't see this pick.


LHP      6-4     190     Clemson 

 

2021 Clemson stat line - 12-G, 11-starts, 1-2, 5.84, 57-IP, 69-K, only 11-BB


7-12-21 - Clemson Insider -

 

As a redshirt sophomore this past season, Askew struck out 69 batters in 57.0 innings pitched across 12 games (11 starts), yielding just 11 walks. The 6-foot-4, 190-pound native of Powder Springs, Ga., had an ERA of 5.84 and allowed 68 hits.

 

Askew, who has seen action as both a starter and reliever during his Clemson career, went 2-1 with a 4.21 ERA in 57.2 innings pitched over 21 appearances (10 starts) in his first two seasons, giving up 58 hits (.276 opponents’ batting average) and 26 walks with 48 strikeouts.

 

Askew was a second-team All-American by Perfect Game coming out of McEachern High School, where he was an all-state and all-region selection and lettered three times in baseball.

 

Lefthander who has seen action as both a starter and reliever … has an unorthodox throwing motion … in 57.2 innings pitched over 21 appearances (10 starts) and two seasons, he has a 2-1 record and 4.21 ERA while allowing 58 hits (.276 opponents’ batting average) and 26 walks with 48 strikeouts.

 

PG

 

Keyshawn Askew is a 2018 LHP/OF with a 6-3 175 lb. frame from Powder Springs, GA who attends Mceachern HS. Long and lean pitcher's build, lots of room to fill out and get stronger. High leg lift delivery, low to mid 3/4's arm slot, arm is loose and quick coming through, pretty clean delivery mechanics. Upper 80's fastball, topped out at 90 mph, gets consistent sinking action to all quadrants of the zone. Sweeping curveball from the same low slot, gets good depth at times, very nice change up with deception and arm speed. Has three solid pitches and the ability to use them and stay off barrels and should keep improving. 

2 comments:

TexasGusCC said...

I have never seen any of the players the Mets drafted and I don’t want to put too much emphasis on scouting the stat line. I trust the guys making the decisions to do their job because they have been quite good lately. But, I just wonder about this pick. I love that they have filled up the minors with good arms even if some of them don’t have good control that’s ok, better than a pati her that has no chance foe the majors but has control.

I said several times that I wanted pitching,pitching, and more pitching, so… but, they couldn’t do more here than a lefty that can’t reach 90? The only lefty they took, LOL?

Mack Ade said...

Gus

I understand your concerns here.

I follow my daughter's school team much more than the others and O can tell you that he was the Saturday night starter this season.

I too found this is a far too early pick unless it turns out to be under-slotted to bring in Rocker.