7/16/20

Metstradamus - Back To The Real World For A Sec


Back To The Real World For A Sec
By  | 
I’m back in the universe.
Don’t know how long I’ll be here. Don’t know how long we’ll all be here. But what I’ve learned about myself during this pandemic is that I’m much better at pretending than I am at focusing on what’s actually happening. Considering that what’s actually happening in this world is pretty horrendous at the moment, maybe you discovered that about yourselves too. Maybe you’re happier pretending. I know I am.
But basically I think the real reason that I haven’t done a “real” post since March is that writing about the upcoming season qualifies for me as being hopeful. And I’m not talking about the hope that comes with a normal spring training. That’s actual hope. I’m going to let you in on a little secret: When I get pessimistic about actual Mets baseball, it’s 50% schtick and 50% Wilpon. Even when you think there’s zero percent left for actual hope of a World Series championship, trust me … I have a percentage put aside for that. I always have.

But man, this is different. Way different. Even though we seem to be on the cusp of starting the 2020 season, which seems like it will start and it’s a victory in itself if it merely starts, I feel like once I get invested, it’s going to fall apart. There’s just so much that can go wrong once these teams start traveling and start getting cabin fever on long road trips. Each team has a player pool of 60. 60 multiplied by 30 is … wait, I have a calculator on this computer, don’t I … 1,800. Even if only the players on the main rosters travel, that’s 900 players plus coaches and support staff so we reach about 1,000 or so people going to hotels and airports in states with varying degrees of control over COVID-19. Even if 96-97% of these traveling parties are responsible, all it takes is that 3% or even less to screw it up for everybody.

No comments: