Posted by Mack Ade at 8:00 AM
I was thinking about this so I thought I’d create a post on this subject and ask all of you for your opinion on the subject.
We all know how this team has been decimated over the last few years with injuries, and yet, we still got to the playoffs the past two seasons. It’s impossible to imagine how have we would have gone the last two years if we had a healthy third baseman plus the dream team rotation.
That being said, let’s look at some scenarios and I want to ask you want you think this team should do if injuries set in again.
1. The outfield – right now, it looks like that even the teams in Korea want nothing to do with Jay Bruce. Amazing. The guy comes to town leading the league in runs batted in. He also runs faster than Brandon Nimmo. Now, he’s radioactive. So, it looks like the Mets will go to camp with these two guys, Juan Lagares, Curtis Granderson, Michael Conforto, and Juan Lagares fighting it out for five outfield slots in the opening day clubhouse… Question: Who is the odd man out and will be shipped out to Las Vegas for the opening day there? And the second part of the question… it’s obvious that the ‘odd man out’ in the first part of this question would be the first outfielder called up if there was an injury to one of these guys already in Queens… but what if a second outfielder goes down? What do we do then?
2. Third Base – It’s just a matter of time, right? We’re going to be looking for a new third baseman to either fill in for the days lost while David Wright rests, or the rest of the season after Wright goes down for maybe the last time. So the question becomes…who’s the next Mets third baseman? Wilmer Flores? T.J.? Jose Reyes? Or, do you move Neil Walker over from second and put either Flores or Rivera there?
3. Starters – We all know the initial plan… because three starters are coming to camp coming off surgery, the team will most probably start the season with a 6-man rotation. This will consist six of the following seven pitchers: Noah Syndergaard, Jacob deGrom, Matt Harvey, Steven Matz, Robert Gsellman, Seth Lugo, and Zack Wheeler. Who starts the season off in Vegas? And what happens if two starters aren’t ready. Who’s next up? Gabriel Ynoa? Sean Gilmartin? Tyler Pill? Or a longshot like P.J. Conlon?
4. Pen – We know the team is a long way away from firming up their opening day pen. Jeurys Familia will probably be in anger management classes… Addison Reed and Hansel Robles seems to be locked in… and Josh Edgin and Josh Smoker probably have the best odds to make it… but then what? Conlon (Adam Rubin is reporting that the Mets are considering using the lefty Conlon out of the opening day pen)? Kevin McGowan? Rafael Montero? Paul Sewald? Adam Wilk (who the heck is Adam Wilk)?
5. First Base – We know we’re going to have to live with Lucas Duda’s highs and lows during the season, but what if his back acts up again and he goes on the disabled list for the remainder of the season again. What do we do then? Do we fill in with T.J. Rivera, try to find another James Loney for a buck, or rush Dominic Smith up the pipeline?
6. Shortstop – What if Astrubel Cabrera goes down? Do you play either Rivera or Reyes here or is time to turn this position over to Amed Rosario?