10/5/20

Tom Brennan - BOB GIBSON - AND THE HEADACHE HE GAVE TOMMIE AGEE



Hall of Famer Bob Gibson joined Tommie Agee in the sweet bye and bye the other day, with Gibby passing on at age 84.

Most people remember the ferocious Gibson as a competitor.

I remember him most for what he did to Tommie Agee.

You see, I was a desperate and avid Mets fan back then, going into 1968, when they were worse than gosh-awful.  

Seaver had given us real hope of a franchise turnaround in 1967, despite still being 40 games under .500 even with the amazing rookie Seaver.  Super Jerry Koosman was clearly on the way.



And now so was a fine, fast running power hitter in Tommie Agee, for a franchise that largely just didn't hit.

I was thrilled. I mean, I WAS THRILLED.  

This team could make big strides in 1968, I'm thinking.

Then the first pitch of the 1968 spring training came, as I am glued to the TV set, wanting to see my new guy, Tommie Agee.  
Gibson vs. this new arrival to the NL.

Ferocious Bob threw a high 90s heater.  

It didn't hit the catcher's mitt.  Nope.

It did, however, hit Tommie Agee's skull. 

Very, very hard.  Concussion hard.  

Thanks for the greeting card, Bobby boy.

Agee wasn't the same all season.  Tons of bailing out of the batter's box reflexively.  He ended up with 5 HRs and 17 RBIs.  It took him well into September to even climb over .200.

And he had Gibby to thank.  

Gibby of course went on to have his great 1968 season 

Agee?  He had a headache.

I always hated Bob Gibson after that.

The highly underproductive Agee kept the Mets at just 73 wins, despite 35 Ws from Seaver and Koosman.

No doubt in my mind they would have been at least a .500 team with a healthy Agee.  After all, the next season, he had 26 HRs and 76 RBIs, and a far higher average.

Having just 73 wins did, however, get them the 4th overall pick in the 1969 draft, which should have been a real consolation bonus.  At least some benefit to the beaning.  

If there was drafting competence to be found.

Alas, there was not.

They drafted Randy Sterling.  

He threw 9 major league innings.

Great picking.

They of course needed lots of hitting in the low-offense 1970s, and should have drafted a hitter - after all, they already had Seaver, Koosman, Gentry, Ryan, McGraw, and McAndrew.  

IF  Gorman Thomas went later in that first round.  Think an earlier version of Pete Alonso.

Thomas had 3 seasons from 1979-1982 where he had between 38 and 45 HRs and 105 to 123 RBIs.   Around that time the entire Mets team was hitting just 60 long balls a season.

So, I will put try to aside my peeves (which really faded a lot in the miracle year of 1969, of which Agee played an enormous role).  And say...

RIP, Beaning Bob.




 

5 comments:

Reese Kaplan said...

I didn't hate Bob Gibson. I envied the Cardinals for having his talent every 5th day. He couldn't have gotten away with the headhunting nowadays, but he was the fiercest competitor I ever saw. RIP, Gibby.

Rds 900. said...

Back then Gibson probably pitched every 4th day. One of the all time greats.

Tom Brennan said...

He was great - but it was to me like he gravely assaulted a family member that day. In this case, a welcome member of the Mets family. You mess with my family like that, my appreciation for your abilities inevitably fades. I just never forgot it, and how unnecessary it was. The very first pitch of spring training.

That left almost as much of a negative impression on me as the baseball left an impression on Agee's skull.

Gary Seagren said...

To me ANYONE not wearing a Mets uniform is the enemy plain and simple.

Tom Brennan said...

Gary, that's the spirit!