5/22/21

Tom Brennan - Another Under the Radar Guy I Like - YOEL ROMERO

 

Yoel Romero the UFC Fighter, not the Mets Prospect

Last I looked at a certain site’s top 30 Mets’ prospects, they had Will Toffey at # 28 and Desmond Lindsay at #30.

Through Thursday, those two were “hitting” .097 (5 for .51) with 27 Ks in AA. 

Well, heck, it’s hard to project guys in baseball, right?

One other guy not in that site’s Mets’ Top 30 is also in AA and was hitting .382 in 34 at bats. 

A solid 6’3”, 195 SS and utility guy.  Just 23. His name? 

Yoel Romero.


Yoel the Mets' Guy (from MILB)

Another site lists its top 51 Met prospects.  

Is Yoel Romero there?  

Nope.

But guys...he’s hitting .382.

And he’s a .261 career hitter.  Career .345 on base.  Some pop, too. 

And 46 of 71 in steals. Seems decent on defense, too.

Multi-position guy as well.

But not in the top 30? Or Top 51?

I think he is a top 30 guy in the Mets’ system. 

Easy breezy.

But that’s just me.

Well, it’s not just me. 

In January 2020, our very own John from Albany reminded me that he himself had Romero at # 30, with the ability to move higher.  

Good call, John, because early signs are that Romero IS moving higher. Possibly much higher. Why?

Because I like hitters. In fact, I dare say that most fans do.  Management, too. Not so crazy about hitters who are actually whiffers, though.

Lots of pitchers, though, put those whiffers in their top 30...of guys they love to face.

So...keep an eye on contact hitter Yoel Romero, will ya? 

John and I both will.

So, I presume, will that UFC guy. And he ain’t messin’. 

2 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

The first Yoel, the angels did say, was a UFC fighter who'd fight every day.

John From Albany said...

Great post Tom. I liked Yoel the first time I saw him in person n early 2019. Syracuse is hurting for position players and Yoel can help a lot. Hope he gets a callup soon.

His hot start in 2019 faded later in the year, hope he can keep up his hot start this year through the rest of the year.