3/30/23

Tom Brennan - Opening Day 2023, and a Dip in the Excitement Factor

 

EDWIN WILL ATTEND, WALKER OR NO WALKER. 

Tommy Trumpet, however, will not.

In 1962, the Mets’ first-ever game was in mid-April, on April 11, and their first win arrived an eternity later, on April 23, a 9-1 nail biter. 

The 9-1 win made it a 1-9 start, with 39 more wins to follow. 

Jack Chesbro won 41 games in 1904, the whole Mets team just 40 in 1962. 

Every time Chesbro won that year, in fact, I can only imagine Mack loudly exclaimed, “YES, BRO’!”

The Mets, on a more serious note, open this afternoon at 4:10 PM, 13 days earlier than in 1962.

I’ll take a 9-1 win today, too.

Scherzer v. Alcantara. Put your wagers on Mighty Mad Max.

The Mets will pose a tough challenge to the Marlins, but I think the challenge to Mad Max from the Marlenes will be not so tough. 12 strikeouts by Max are expected. And a W.

A line up of Nimmo, McNeil, Lindor, Alonso, Marte, Vogelbach, Narvaez, Escobar, and Canha ought to be fun to watch, and Ruf for Alcantara. 

They tell me Edwin Diaz will sit this one out.  

No miracles in that regard today.

LGM

Please. Win one for the…multi-billionaire, who is (to be clear) not a Gipper. 

Probably a big tipper though. 

Me? I’m just a big quipper.

102 wins, with or without Edwin. No excuses.


BUT…BEFORE I GO...THE EXCITEMENT FACTOR:

When it comes to baseball, I have always been a kid at heart. Ryan, Gooden, McNeil, Alonso, I love guys with freaky skills and those who come up and provide stunning production.  In basketball, it was Dr. J.

So…to lose freaky, invaluable Diaz performance and production, and lose the potential very-high-end freakiness of Bryce Montes de Oca has put a blow hole in my excitement factor. To a lesser degree, the “you never really had a chance  to go north with us” mentality of Eppler with Baty, Vientos, and Alvarez dampened my excitement too. 

I am looking forward to 2023, but not nearly as excited about it. Period.

You fans may feel differently, and I am sure Syracuse fans are pulsating with excitement.  What a AAA squad they are opening with.  So deep, in fact, that even the very-deserving Wyatt Young is repeating AA for now.  No room in  'Cuse for that young talent - yet.  

The same Wyatt Young who in 19 Syracuse games last year hit a not-so-shabby .352/.446/.437.  

MURPH NEWS!!!

The independent Long Island Ducks just announced that they've signed Daniel Murphy, 37, who last played in the Majors in 2020 for the Rockies. 

"This game is part of my soul," Murphy said in a statement posted to the Ducks' web site.

Love ya, Murph! Only just turning 38, maybe he can recapture his form and help the Mets this year. One can only dream.

PLAY BALL!

19 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Glad we are not opening today at home. Mid 20s wind chill this AM.

bill metsiac said...

I'm with ya on the 102-60, Mack, if only because losing Edwin costs us 5-10 games. If he were here, I'd be looking to challenge the record of the '86 team.

bill metsiac said...

Let the Yankees have that weather. Unfortunately, our upstate farm teams will have it even worse.

Gary Seagren said...

Gotta be positive LGM!!! I guess Syracuse couldn't start their season in St. Lucie right..maybe just the first 2 or three weeks. How do you even judge their performance in that weather when it'll be July before you see 70 degrees. Just crazy to me and also the added injury factor but nobody ever mentions it. Oh well opening day is finally here and again LGM.

Tom Brennan said...

Bill, I am nervous about the back end of our Line up.

19 for 118? .161? With NO HR and 9 RBIs? Escobar, Vogelbach, and Pham. That is the stuff of 102 losses, not wins.

Gary Seagren said...

Tom it can't be because of money with SC in charge and your telling me the kids couldn't do better than 19 for 118? Also not so sure swapping Walker and Bassitt's 59 starts for Q and Senga thrills me. Senga as a # 5 behind Max, Justin, Walker and Bassitt works better for me but oh well here we are.

Mack Ade said...

Morning all.

Gotta get all my chores in early today.

At my age, that's going to CVS with a 40% coupon for diapers.

Having German food today during the game... my 75% heritage

Do you watch Finding Your Roots With Henry on PBS?

Ever wonder why you never see anyone with a German heritage on that show?

"...we found your great great Grandfather, Mr. Schumacher... turn the page... (3/4 turned)... err... never mind...(reclosing page...) let's go to your maternal side that came from Austria..."

(you can use this David and Tom in your comedy act)

What does this have to do with the Mets????

Tom Brennan said...

Gary, you too have removed the rose-colored glasses. I took mine off when Patellar Eddie had a great fall.

Tom Brennan said...

There’s too much MANIC in Germanic, Mack. Me? 25% German. Grandmother’s maiden name was Hess. No connection to that Kraut named Hess. 75% Irish, so I am 75% happy Murphy is playing ball again.

In NY, when grocery shopping, you pay a nickel per bag. Lady at the register asked if I need bags, I said I was all set, I brought two of my own …one under each eye. She hit me with a turnip.

Tom Brennan said...

Spring stats may not be indicative. You know who hit .315 the last 3 springs with 9 HR in 105 ABs? Jarred Kelenic.

Mack Ade said...

TJS for Oca

Woodrow said...

Spring training stats? Throw em out. Today they count., Now you can start sending the hot guys to Cooperstown and cutting the guys slumping for 20-30 ABs.

Tom Brennan said...

Spring stats mean nothing for stars, mostly. Jeff McNeil had an awful spring training 2021 followed by a weak 2021.

Where I disagree is with older guys. Bad springs can be a real early indicator of decline. Pham is old, Escobar close behind, and Vogelbach has a body older than his years. Count me concerned. Actually, more than concerned.

Mack Ade said...

Verlander

IL

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, like I said about a lack of enthusiasm…

Tom Brennan said...

Another opening day win. Remarkable.

Vogie, Pham, Escobar 1 for 7.

bill metsiac said...

And Pete was 0-for-4. So what?

Tom Brennan said...

Bill, their 1 for 7 was after a homerless 19 for 118 spring. Yep, just one game.

Pete is an entirely different animal.

Tom Brennan said...

Jack Chesbro won 174 games by the time he was a few months past his 27th birthday. No doubt on his way to 400 wins.

These days, he would have gotten a quadrillion dollar contract.

His final 3 years, though, he was 24-39, and done before his 30th birthday. 198 career wins. Those 260 complete games caught up to him.