8/29/11

Cutnpaste: - Darrell Ceciliani, Elvis Sanchez, Fernando Martinez, Collin McHugh, Chris Capuano




8-21-11: - http://metsmerizedonline.com/2011/08/prospect-pulse-left-handed-hitters.html  - Darrell Ceciliani – This 21 year-old center-fielder, who the Mets made their 4th round draft pick out of Columbia Basin Community College (Wash) in 2009, is still very raw, and if he does reach the majors, it won’t be before 2014. This year he has been the Savannah Sand Gnats everyday center-fielder. In three full seasons, (two short season, and this one) he has amassed 800 lifetime minor league AB’s, with a lifetime .283 BA. He has a .358 OBP, and a .403 SLG%, but his problem so far has also been too many K’s. His K/BB ratio reads: 173/78, and for a lead-off hitter those numbers need to improve.


8-23-11: - DSL 2011 End of Season Wrap-Up - http://www.nyfuturestars.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35808&sid=e8719b8eddffd9bc033d0ab708d8aff5  - Elvis Sanchez, 17, 3B - Disappointing year for Sanchez in his debut, hitting just .157 with 3 bombs. In 198 ABs, he walked 62 times, and struck out 73. Almost 37% of ABs, he strikes out.


8-25-11: - http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ycn-9021595  - Fernando Martinez - I know he's not on the major league roster, but shouldn't he be by now? Is he in the witness protection program? I suppose he fits right in with the Mets organization…over-hyped, slow to develop, always injured.




(Colin McHugh) I don't pretend to know what the future holds for me and my baseball career. I don't know if I will ever have the chance to pitch at Fenway again. But for a brief moment my wife, my father and I got a glimpse of where I could go. What I could do. We came face to face with the reality of why we put in all the work. It felt good, natural even. At the very least, it was a story I shared with those closest to me, and one that I will continue to share with my kids and grandkids. I think we forget, in the day to day grind, that we are building a life's worth of memories here. This was one that I will never forget. - http://adayolderadaywiser.blogspot.com/

With everyone preparing for Hurricane Irene you might have missed a dominant pitching performance by Chris Capuano on Friday. Capuano’s complete game 13 strikeout shutout of Atlanta might appear to be another win in a season that will end short of the playoffs, but as Mark Simon noted at ESPN NY this is one of the best pitching performances in team history. It was also the best performance by any pitcher in 2011. Simon used Bill James Game Score, which rates starts, with the number usually coming between 0 and 100– higher being better. Pitchers get rewarded for finishing innings, not allowing base runners, and striking batters out. The scoring system is as follows: - http://nybaseballdigest.com/?p=39121  

No comments: