7/13/11

Thoughts on K-Rod for Reyes Deal


Photo by Michael G. Baron
And here I was wondering about what I would write about this morning.


The Mets dusted off a seldom used white flag and begun the process last night of running it up the pole. Francesco Rodriquez did everything you would want from a closer. Punching out the father of your girlfriend was a little over the top, but you’ve never met the family, right?


In return, the Milwaukee Brewers will send two “prospects” to the Mets, from a list of players that the Mets can spend some time figuring out which ones they want. It’s no big secret that the Brewers organization was gutted in the Zach Grienke deal and they are currently considered the least talented organization in baseball.


Mets fans need to realize that this was a trade of K-Rod for two prospects… and Jose Reyes. $12,166,666 is immediately freed up in 2012 to help seal a deal for America’s most exciting baseball player.


Regarding the prospects, there’s no one left in that organization that stands out, but, if the Mets call me this morning and ask me what I think (stop laughingToby…), I couldn’t help them here. This is a real crap shoot list. I’d normally look for a catcher, but the top one they have (Tyler Roberts) is a 2009 draftee currently playing rookie ball. Maybe someone should ask Bisons’ shortstop Luis Figueroa who to pick, since he started the season with the Brewers. Looking for pop? Consider A+ LF Kristopher Davis (14-HR, .564-SLG).


The sad part for me is the fact that this is the normal time of the year when I am writing about players the Mets will be possibly buying. You know I’m old school. I like a team that buys rather than sells. Frankly, as a Mets writer and fan, I’m used to this.


Thanks K-Rod.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mack It's funny you should mention Kristopher Davis. I've spent some time (maybe to much time) scouring the Brewers system for something to feel good about and he is a giant standout. not just the slugging but the BB/K ratio, and the fact that just about every stat has improved swiftly and consistantly in his professional career.
I don't know who's on that 5 man list or if we will be privy to that nugget sooner or later if ever, but I think if Sandy is worth his salt that kid should be on there. If Davis's impressive stat trends continue he could be ready for a september call up by next year.