8/5/11

Burkhardt: Mets Draft SPs Pitching One Inning Only – Huh?


I had the pleasure of watching the Brooklyn Cyclones game on SNY last night…. Yes, they block out the Mets games in South Carolina, but not the Cyclones… and Bobby Ojeda and Kevin Burkhardt talked about something I did not know was going on.


It seems that the Mets have decided to pitch their draft pick starters for one inning only, every five games. They have been instructed to go through the normal routine they would do if they were starting… wind sprints, stretches, bullpen sessions, long toss, etc… but, when game time comes along, report to the pen for your one inning pitched.


I understand the logic here. Most of these guys pitched a bunch of innings in school this year and the Mets have a history of injuries from worn out starter arms, but one inning?


Ojeda pointed out that it used to take him an inning to just get off the adrenaline rush that comes with every outing. You can’t work on your pitches in one inning. Or, is that what the Mets want them to do? Just show up, work out a little, throw an inning, and go Twitter?


I’m sort of in the middle on this one.


Your affiliates have established rotations that still need to be evaluated. Why not let the current squad finish the season so the team can figure out what they have under contract. You get to work with the draft picks sort of in an extended camp way, and, at the same time, evaluate what level they can start off at effectively next season.


Interesting.

4 comments:

Charles said...

Funny, over the past few weeks, as these draft picks have been reporting and getting into games, I was scratching my head as to why they were only throwing one inning. Now I know. Tell you what though, Mazzoni & especially Leathersich have been pitching great in that one inning. I can understand the Mets wanting to get these guys feet wet, while also giving their arms a much needed rest. I just hope that a good showing over their 10 or so innings lets them move on to the next level next year. Leathersich's numbers are fantastic, he's mowing the penn league hitters down!

rwdavis22461 said...

they will pitch enough better to be cautious then foolish.

Mack Ade said...

I'm still not sure where I'm at on this one.

I take it as a sigh of strength in the organization.

The Closer said...

I think it's strictly to just limit there innings. I remember reading that Mazzoni pitched a lot of innings this year and they probabaly just want them to get in some innings and start next year fresh in Savannah for the college guys like Mazzoni, Verrett(if he signs already), Pill, Leathersich, Panteliodis etc..

I don't know if Fulmer is ready for a full season roster just yet and probably suite for gulf coast, Kingsport or maybe even Brooklyn if he's ready. We'll see...