8/26/11

Draft Profile: - OF - Travis Jankowski


I’m starting a series of prospect updates and checking in with the players regarding their preparation for the upcoming season.


We start with Stony Brook’s outfield prospect Travis Jankowski.


Some stuff:


2011: All-America East first team selection ... named to ABCA All-Northeast Region second team ... started 53 games in centerfield ... did not make an error in 115 chances ... set Stony Brook single season record for steals in a season (30-for-34) ... was 14th in the nation in stolen bases ... ranked second in the America East with .355 batting average ... scored 39 runs and drove in 38 ... had 19 multi-hit games and 10 multi-RBI games ... went 5-for-11 (.455) in three-game series against No. 17 North Carolina (3/4-3/5) ... had career-high four hits in five at-bats against NJIT (3/18) ... drove in a then career-high three runs on March 22 against New York Tech ... went 2-for-5 with career-high four RBI against UMBC (4/23) ... went 4-for-5 with three RBI in season finale against Albany (5/25). - http://www.goseawolves.org/sports/m-basebl/mtt/jankowski_travis00.html  


7-19-11: - http://www.mlbbonusbaby.com/2011/6/29/2250656/early-look-at-2012#comments  - Travis Jankowski, Stony Brook, 6’3 195 R/R, kind of player that grows on you, makes solid contact and runs very well, 6’5, 60 guy with plus arm strength, and raw strength to add more HR power once in pro ball. Sleeper to go in top 3 rounds in 2012.


8-17-11: - http://collegebaseball360.com/2011/08/16/jankowski-named-cape-cod-baseball-mvp  - - Bourne’s General Manager Mike Carrier said thankfully Jankowski scored a chance on the Cape because a former Brave’s assistant was working with Jankowski at Stony Brook. When current field manager, Harvey Shapiro, started calling around looking for good players, he found the 6-2, 190 pound outfielder. The ballplayer from Lancaster, Penn., played well from start to finish. The numbers do not lie. He was made a Cape League All-Star for the Western Division because of it. Jankowski finished one of the top ten hitters and base stealers in the league. He batted .326 with 22 RBIs, 60 hits, 35 runs and a .444 OBP.


I asked Travis what’s he’s up to this off-season:


“Hey Mack, let me start off by saying I think it is great what you are doing for us college/high school prospects. Getting our name out to the scouts and getting all of us publicized like this is an awesome idea. Thank you.


As for my workouts in the off season what I am focusing on is getting bigger, stronger, faster. Im really focusing on core and lower body strength in the weight room. As for conditioning I do explosive exercises 2 days a week to help with my speed and I do distance 2 days to keep my cardio and endurance at a high level. With my swing Ive been working on getting my hand into the hitting zone as quickly as possible and keeping them through that zone as long as possible. Also Ive been working on using my back hip and core alot more than I was previously to generate more power. As for off the field in my free time I like to approach the mental side of baseball. I watch alot of baseball on TV to get a feel for how pitchers at the next level pitch and how they attack batters.


Thank you again for contacting me and I hope all is well” -Travis


Right now, I have him in the 2nd or 3rd round come June.

No comments: