8/21/11

A Dark Age In Mets History? You Betcha!

Would you blame David if he left for
greener pastures...say in The Bronx?

This morning I was sitting in my basement office, just north of Boston, when I cam across this quote "Angel Pagan was called a fourth outfielder. Daniel Murphy was pegged as a utility man. Justin Turner was a bench player and nearly the entire pitching staff was dismissed as mediocre." I can't say I disagree with that scout's assessment. In fact, I started thinking back to 2004 and it hit me that we Mets fans are living in the dark ages of Met history. Here is why:

1) We are wasting David Wright's prime- this irritates me to no end and I wouldnt blame David if he decided to leave.

2) Up until recently, the Wilpons were meddlesome- say nothing about the Madoff mess. If you were to grade the Wilpon regime since Uncle Nelson left us, what would you give them? C? I say D, simply put, it has been hard to be a proud Mets fan. I would have to say their two wins was 2006 and Citifield. Although they botched the naming rights. Why the Meadownlands is named Metlife and not the Mets ballpark is beyond me.

3) Oliver Perez, Jason Bay, Luis Castillo's contracts from Omar. These were simply terrible decisions. At the time they singed them to these contracts, I tasted a little puke in my mouth. That taste hasn't subsided.

Look, I could go on and on. But I don't want to make this a Mets bashing post. I do however want to point out the true Mets fans that tune in everyday, we are living through a bad time to be a fan. Pat yourself on the back for being a true fan. I will still be sitting in my basement watching the Mets on my iPad and reading the NY papers over coffee. Putting up with Red Sox Nation casting the Mets aside as irrelevant. I am rooting hard for Sandy Alderson (so far he has done everything right)  and David Wright. I am pulling for Sandy to get this right before David decides to go elsewhere and win. Would that be a black cherry on top of a dark time in Mets history? You betcha!

No comments: