8/6/11

Q and A: - K-Rod Trade

Mike asked:

Mack, thanks for running Mack's Mets. You and your other writers do an excellent job keeping track of both the Mets and the minor leagues. It is essential reading for me, each morning with my cup of coffee.

Anyway, the point of my email is to ask you if you have any further information about the return on the KRod trade. I know it was packaged as two players to be named later (which was smart on Sandy's part), but there has been no mention of any names since.



I am hoping that one of the PTBNL is a second baseman and that the other is a catcher. Those two areas are the most scarce in our system, in my opinion. Unless, Jordany Valdespin is the real deal and can make the conversion defensively to second base (imagine Valdespin and Reyes up the middle and batting first and second).

What are your thoughts?

Mack:  Thanks for your warm thoughts.


The Mets still haven't chosen the two players (from a list of five submitted) they will get. They have until the end of September to chose them and it looks like Sandy Alderson plans on sticking to that plan.


I wish he's pull the trigger early, so they could get the players into the system, but, in my book, Sandy is still batting 1.000, so I have no problem with his plan.


For the record, here's what fangraphs. said recently about the Brewer's top 10 prospects:

Milwaukee Brewers


1. Jake Odorizzi, RHP*

2. Mark Rogers, RHP

3. Jeremy Jeffress, RHP*

4. Kyle Heckathorn, RHP

5. Wily Peralta, RHP

6. Cody Scarpetta, RHP

7. Hunter Morris, 1B/OF

8. Jimmy Nelson, RHP

9. Tyler Thornburg, RHP

10. Caleb Gindl, OF

Like the Cubs, the Brewers organization saw a number of changes to its Top 10 list thanks to trades that happened during the off-season. I was able to adjust for the Shaun Marcum trade (loss of Brett Lawrie) but the Zack Greinke deal occurred after I posted my list. Rogers ended up as the No. 1 guy in the organization but his season has been pretty bad. I was pretty much the only writer who wasn’t on the Scooter Gennett bandwagon and I’m actually still pretty happy about that. His season has been decent in high-A ball (.284/.323/.376) but he doesn’t hit for power or rack up the steals, whicj leaves him as an all-batting-average guy. He’s more of a utility player for me. Fellow 2010 draftees Nelson and Thornburg have really started to separate themselves. Nelson hasn’t done much in low-A while Thornburg pitched in the Futures Game. I’ve been a big fan of Morris since his prep days and was the only one to place him on the Brewers’ Top 10 list. He’s been a little too aggressive at the plate for my liking but he has a solid triple-slash line of .294/.320/.538 and has already tasted double-A.


Mike, I agree with you that the Mets are weaker in some positions, but I'm sure Sandy will pick the most talented players on the list regardless of position.

BTW, IMO... there are no Zach Wheeler level players currently in their system.
Currently, the Brewers system is rated below  par after being depleted in two previous trades. Most of what is left are RHPs and I'd be thrilled if two of these ten names are on that protected list of five.


The worst thing that can happen is the Mets wind up having 7-8 prime RHSP in 2014. They would then be in position to deal some of them for whatever position is needed.

2 comments:

Hobie said...

Mack, I'm hoping Thornborg is on the list. A 2010 draftee, he can't be traded until Aug. 15 the anniversary of the draft signing deadline, no? I'm thinking that's why the transaction has not been completed.

I thought the 2nd guy night be Erik Komatsu, but he went to Washington in the Hairston trade. :-(

Maybe the OTHER Davis, Khris, just moved up from the FSL to AA (and struggling).

Mack Ade said...

Frankly, there is nobody in their organization that foats my boat.

I also will be surprised if this deal gets the Mets two of the top ten prospects in their organization.

Hey, it could always be Cutter Dykstra. That way the Mets could have everyone that ever plaed the game named Dykstra.