10/24/11

Reasons To Smile

This may not be shaping up as the offseason of your dreams, but that doesn't mean it's time to use that cyanide capsule you've been saving for the day the Mets lose Wright and Reyes. There are plenty of reasons to still look at 2012 with an air of optimism and hope... maybe even a manic tinge of glee.

Generation 2K: Now... the caveat here is to not start placing all your eggs in this basket but the bright side of a down year is that players like Harvey, Familia, Mejia, McHugh, CoHoon and Schwinden can all get their shots. HECK, if he makes Harvey-esque strides, we could see Zack Wheeler in 2012.

Lucas Duda: For some reason, as I watched Plaxico Burress turn back the clock with 3 TD catches I found myself thinking of Lucas Duda. Okay, so Plax is not a top WR anymore. HOWEVER once he's in the endzone, he's great at scoring runs. Similarly I think Duda will be a great source for RBI's. He's got a good approach to at bats and I think he will be good for 80+ and maybe even 90+ RBIs.

Happy Surprises: Remember when the Mets were THE team to beat in the NL East and they got some surprises? Injuries upon injuries and a couple collapses that left the team realing? Well this season could start with the Mets expected to finish 4th or 5th in the NL East and that means that surprises... are probably only going to be the good kind.

3 comments:

Michael S. said...

I'm really looking forward to next year. I'm looking forward to Ike Davis, Lucas Duda, and Ruben Tejada continuing their development. I'm interested to see if Bay's bounce back in September is for real and if he can keep it going. I'm looking forward to Havens, Nieuwenhuis, Harvey, Familia, and Mejia all making their way to NYC at some point. There are reasons to enjoy this team, it's just difficult to go into a season knowing that there is almost no chance of seeing the playoffs.

Frank Gray said...

Thank you for mentioning Colin McHugh. I am BIG on this guy. No one ever talks about him in the same sentence as Harvey and Wheeler, etc. I asked Adam Rubin about him one time and he thought McHugh would emerge as a solid reliever. I still think he will be a Gee type (under the radar). Maybe a spot starter. Who knows?

David Groveman said...

I think McHugh is probably BETTER than Gee if things break right. He's got better stuff and similar control.