This season was an injury plagued sort of mess. But this injury thing has become repetitious over recent seasons and is now the number one problem confronting this team. This problem really has to be addressed sufficiently this off season. It cannot go on because it is destroying all chances of this team winning the WS.
We have to be honest first and foremost here. Put player favoritism and personal hopes aside to accomplish this. It's hard to do sometimes. We have to take off the blinders to reality, even harder. sometimes. Here's my injury eight player opinions that I speak of most:
- David Wright - Serious injury, huge question marks of not only being able to return, but stay active going forward.
- Lucas Duda - Back and neck injuries the worst kind. Cannot ever predict when and how bad down the road.
- Matt Harvey - Beside the All Star start thing and early on success, what has he really done since?
- Zachary Wheeler - Great promise but I have forgotten what he even looks like.
- Stephen Matz - Is he another Scott Kazmir?
- Jacob deGrom - Are his injuries going to be every season?
- Travis d'Arnaud - Cannot stay on the field as a catcher and is not that good a hitter to play anywhere else perhaps.
- Neil Walker - Again, back and neck injuries can be very serious going forward.
These above players (8) and how they are handled this off season (to me) will determine the success of 2017. The positional players above are either now too injured or too replaceable to retain. With Wright, I might consider him as a Player/Coach now here, with view of him one day being this ball club's manager. It is in short, time to bring along the next era of NYM Baseball. Look at the Cubs right now. Best starting rotation in MLB, however, all the kid players (with little exception) that they were bragging on the last two seasons in their MiLB, really didn't have stellar hitting seasons in 2016. Take a look.Then take a look at Vegas 2016, namely Nimmo, Cecchini, TJ, and B Mets' D. Smith. Four guys who in my opinion could and should be starting on the 2017 NYM come ST. It's time for this change to happen.
Bringing up these four to start accomplishes this changeover. The old recent past is over, injury players all eliminated from the 2017 roster. This accomplishes several goals. First, the changeover becomes complete. It needed to happen soon anyway. Secondly, all the injury players are gone, many with one year contracts ending now. More monies are saved which could be spent on better ball players who are not always injured. Thirdly, it promotes from within the system the very best young players. This adds credence to the NYM own system to players coming along beneath.
Bench:INF Oberste, Phillip Evans, OF T. Tebow, Ty Kelly C Brian McCann (NYY)
The above group cover the bases, power hitting, lead off options, bench depth at all positions, defense, and PH.
Wheeler (weather permitting)
Closer: Jeurys Familia
NYM J. Lagares and Kevin Plawecki to Colorado for catcher Tom Murphy
NYM Matt Harvey to Cleveland for RP Andrew Miller (lefty)
Thanks for reading!