11/27/18

Tom Brennan - To Which I Say, "SO WHAT?"

 


Tom Brennan - To Which I Say, "SO WHAT?"


Former Mets minor leaguers turned free agents Jhoan Urena, Levi Michael, and Nabil Crismatt just signed with other organizations.




I could wax eloquent about them.  I could say, "Oh, no!"



Instead, I say: "So what?"



I mean, don't get me wrong - I liked following how the trio were playing in 2018 and prior seasons.




But, if one is focused on the Mets winning a World Series, which has happened just once in 49 years, I have to say again, as regards these 3 fellas, "So what?"




Those 3 are likely to be no more than marginal major leaguers, if they reach the bigs in the future at all.




Likewise, the Mets, like all big league teams, released a slew of under-performing minor leaguers after the season.



To which I say: "So what?"



Not that I did not follow them closely, to see if they might somehow evolve into the next Jeff McNeil or Seth Lugo, but they didn't, "So what?"




Where I don't, however, say "So what?" is where the Mets most often fall short, and cannot afford to do so in this winnable upcoming season.




In past years, while true contenders opened the purse unabashedly and with great purpose, the Mets signed cheaper, aging, previously injured players in hopes of reversal and over-achievement.



What the Mets got instead was under-achievement - as in: 


Cespedes, Bruce, Swarzak, Frazier, Reyes, Bautista, Gonzalez, Vargas.


To that, I don't say, "So what?"



To that, I say, "The acquisition grade for the above is an F, so what can you do this off season, in terms of player moves, such that the moves will be viewed by impartial observers as an A or a B, not an F?"



The Braves, you see, they want an A or a B.



As in, the Braves, not the Mets, just signed Josh Donaldson.  


To that, I don't say, "So what?"


To that, I ask, "Here we go again?  Again?"

The Mets need to make excellent, impactful moves to make the team playoff-probable.  


Not just sit there getting out-maneuvered by clubs like the Braves, the Phillies, the Bronx Bombers, the Red Sox, and the Dodgers, whose first 10 team goals, I imagine, are summarized as "Winning, and winning big."

To anything else, I say, "So what?"

To anything less, those teams say, "Not interested."

I want a World Series in 2019 in Queens - not the usual excuses, nor distractions that cause me to say "So what?"



7 comments:

bgreg98180 said...

Yes. Yes.

Reese Kaplan said...

The WHAT is pretty clear as to priorities and needs. The HOW is the question along with the always Wilponish, "HOW MUCH?"

Tom Brennan said...

For me, they better not mess up this off season. I want an organization that is 1) aggressive and 2) successful.

I don't want spending big $$ for 2 years on a guy like Frazier who just hit .213. Am I surprised he hit .213 again in 2018? No. Are you?

You usually get what you pay for.

Gary Seagren said...

Very true. What I want is DIRECTION. Either trade from strength like dealing Jake coming off a monster year not likely to be repeated and build toward a solid team for 2021 or go "ALL IN" now and mean it!

bgreg98180 said...

I hope that Vanwagenen expressed that same thinking to the Wilpons during his interviews

Tom Brennan said...

Bob and Gary, I am from Missouri, the "Show Me" state, this off season...wouldn't it be nice for the off season to end and we smile and say "WOW".

I'm not expecting that, though. Show Me.

Anonymous said...

Wilmer and Jay gone in the same day

Well done Brodie!

Wilmer cannot start for more than a few games in a row, and how many games can we watch Jay limp around the field.

The Mets have ample second base prospects to fill this void with Wilmer.

Bryce Harper?

OMG, is all I can say here. Have to see it done to actually believe. Harper (not Charlie) is still only like 26 years old.

Catcher Position

Not really into second rate catchers who cannot become first rate. A good defense and pitcher handling is nice, but so are homeruns, and the Mets can always need more homeruns in their lineup. That is why I have been suggesting Austin Allen from Pods. Pods have already traded for Francisco Mejia and have Austin Hedges. However here, Austin Allen (so many Austins now) has promise, hits for both average and homeruns, but was only AA last season with Pods. Scouts are impressed with his hands and catching skills after tutoring in AA, and he is all upside with a .291 BA and 22 homeruns last season in AA ball.

Austin Hedges hasn't hit much for the Pods thus far but is only 16 years old.

A separate deal with San Diego to acquire Austin Allen is a good move is possible that San Diego would trade him. Pods need quality starting pitching. This move is sound because Austin Allen is maybe .5-1 season away and the Mets to me are really thin at MiLB catching right now.

This Austin Allen could be a top rated catcher in MLB according to everything I have read on him. He is worth the chance.

On the bullpen

Do not forget Tyler Bashlor. This kid has closer skills I believe. And other closer ideas might include the Red Sox Brasier or free agent Eovaldi. Between Eovaldi or Kimbrel, I might take Eovaldi. Nathan can start or close and his fastball is alive close to 100 mph.