12/29/19

Mack – FWIW – Lindor, Arenado, Betances




I was on the phone the other day with one of my friends in Queens who has been a Mets fan since 1962. He called me to ask me what my opinion was on Francisco Lindor. I told him that I believe he currently is the premier shortstop in the game, but I don’t think he’s a fit for the Mets. He was astounded by that statement.

Now, let me stop here. My friend does not follow the minor leagues and has no idea who or what an Andres Gimenez or Ronny Mauricio is. I told him that shortstop is the deepest position we have in the pipeline and, because he doesn’t follow the minors, he thought I was nuts. In his world, I was saying that Amed Rosario was better than Lindor.

He also doesn’t understand the guts of a trade. He’s just looking at the player, not the $17mil you have to pay him in 2020. More than this, you don’t trade with a team and say, okay, I will trade with you for Lindor and, in return, I will pay him what you had agreed to pay him. More would be needed in this trade, like two or three excellent players. So, we would lose top chips, plus have to pay $17mil for a player that becomes a free agent in 2022.

It’s not a player for player deal. There is much more to trading.

He didn’t like my answer and abruptly ended the telcon.



There is a lot of fan chatter out there about trading for Colorado Rockies third baseman Nolan Arenado. Even writers here have jumped on that bandwagon. I simply haven’t.

Look, we are building a world class team here with young, exciting talent. Do we really want to pay someone turning 30 $35,000,000 a year for six seasons? We already have one huge dinosaur infield contract (Robinson Cano) to live with, We also have a future superstar in this game (Jeff McNeil) that can play either of these positions. Why not live with what we have until either Mark Vientos or Brett Baty arrive in Queens? 

I haven’t even added to this the chance that one out three headed monster shortstops (Amed Rosario, Andres Gimenez, Ronny Mauricio) could be moved to third.

Folks, I love bringing in superstars, but not at this cost, especially when the infield seems to be developing just fine for the future.



The Dellin Betances move surprised me. A good surprise but still, a surprise. This wouldn’t have happened without the reorganization of the Yoenis Cespedes contract.

I also don’t think the Mets have to look outside their organization anymore for help in the 2020 pen.

What I do hope they do is clean out the 40-man squad of some of the dead wood still on the payroll… my candidates would include Tyler Bashlor, Walker Lockett, Corey Oswalt, Jacob Rhame, and Paul Sewald. I’ve got bigger fish to fry than this spilled milk.

I also know there is new talent a brewin’ down under… Ryley Gilliam, Stephen Villines, Adonis Uceta, and Yeizo Campos will be the contenders for the 2021 pen and need a full season in Syracuse to get ready for the accent to Queens.

Lastly, Betances and new Mets manager Carlos Beltran are close friends. Their wives are close friends. Beltran manages a New York baseball team. Betances now plays for the same New York baseball team. Betances is a born and bred New Yorker. Do you see where I am going here?

I expect this to become a long-term relationship.



10 comments:

Reese Kaplan said...

Interesting points here, Mack. I wonder what will change once our new team owner gets his Sharpie.

bill metsiac said...

I completely agree with Mack about adding expensive talent to fill non-existent holes.

I'm not so quick on the trigger when it comes to dumping the players he mentioned. Yes, they haven't lived up to expectations so far, but there still is potential. Let tjose behind them compete for jobs in ST, and then determine which need to be promoted and which of those on Mack's list need to be moved.

Tom Brennan said...

Good points, Mack. I would rather get Hader for Smith, and a back up catcher, and call it a day.

Mack Ade said...

Thanks to the 'Big 3'... Crosby, Stills, and Metsiac.

TexasGusCC said...

Mack, I agree with your friend. Lindor is worth more than his salary, and that player is hard to acquire. He is an elite talent, and talent wins. Last year the average MLB team, grossed $357MM, and seeing how the Mets should be well above average, I’d say that was closer to $425MM. They can afford him. I like Rosario,but don’t like Giminez at all and barely like Mauricio. Nothing in their numbers or videos jumps out at me and if they are #1 on our prospect list, it’s because our farm lost it’s only true blue chip prospect.

Now, Arrenado is another story. He is old on a salary twice Lindor’s for well into his late 30’s; there I say no. Back to Lindor, the point you should be making is how much of an upgrade is he really over Rosario? Aside from the 32 HRs, their numbers are pretty similar. That’s the real reason to pass on that stud.

TexasGusCC said...

Good to see you back Reese. Hope you are coming along well.

Zozo said...

Wait it out and sign Lindor as a free agent in 2021 offseason. If he is unavailable you also have Xander Boegarts, Carlos Correa and Trevor Story as free agents that winter.
Also next Offseason sign one of either Betts or Springer.
Give up draft picks and keep our prospects that we already have.
This offseason I would trade Stroman for prospects and sign Alex Wood to take his place in the rotation and put Matz in the bullpen.

Eddie from Corona said...

I agree Lindor would be great mostly because of his gold glove potential but it’s not a position where we are of need.... we should be acquiring OFers... maybe a C. Since they’re so few quality C then I don’t prioritize it... only a handful of team can say they have a good C... most do not so we are not behind the 8 ball... build around the C (someone needs to bat 8th after all)

TexasGusCC said...

Zozo, I love your thinking, but why not trade Matz too? I just don’t see any upside in Matz and at 28; this is probably his peak and it isn’t too high for me. His home/road splits have always sucked and if Wood can take his place, with the new three batter rule, a team will probably use no more than 4 total pitchers per game so technically Gsellman and Lugo can both be the starting rotation insurance if you trade Stroman too.

bill metsiac said...

OFers? We've got 4to, Nimmo, JDD, Squirrel and Yo, plus Marisnick for D.

Unless there's a star CFer available at reasonable cost, our OF is more than full already.