5/6/21

SAVAGE VIEWS – Ray on Fire

 


May 6, 2021

I’m angry at what I see as the mismanagement of this Mets team.  With the exceptional pitching we have had over the first month of the season, we should be running away with the NL East.

As I write this, news has come down that Chili Davis has been fired.  I was going to suggest that in this post.  When a team is at the bottom in every offensive category, somebody must shoulder the blame. 

Back to the reasons for my outrage.  It knocked me off my seat on Sunday with the team up by four runs heading into the 9th that Diaz was brought in on a non-save situation.  Historically, closers tend not to perform well in these circumstances.  The flip side is by bringing Diaz in on Sunday meant he would not be available, if needed, on Monday.  You have to wonder about the thought process here.  It was pure luck they managed to win the game.  After it was clear that Diaz had nothing in the tank, why was he allowed to face Hoskins.

I had no issue with Rojas starting Lucchesi in Monday night’s game.  Even the most casual observer could see that he was struggling badly.  The bullpen should have been ready at the first sign of trouble.  Even after allowing the game tying homerun, he was left in to face two more batters and we know the outcome.  You really have to question the decision making that resulted in another Mets loss.

Prior to the season, I suggested that McCann would not catch more than 120 games.  I think his previous high was 108 games.  That scenario would have Nido catching the other 40 or so games.  Prior to Monday’s game Nido had ten at bats.  McCann has struggled both offensively and defensively.  There can be no valid argument for him to be catching nine games in a row.  It’s hard to remember the last time he made hard contact.

It took an injury to Nimmo for Pillar to get a chance to play.  The last three times he came to the plate with a man on second he produced a hit.  What’s strange is that none of those hits produced an RBI.  One was thrown out at the plate on a marvelous play.  On the other two occasions no attempt was made to score.  On an offensively challenged team I think you need to force the hand of the other team.  With our dismal production of getting a runner in from third with less than two outs, we need to start getting more aggressive.  Last year one of my criticisms of Rojas was the team was not aggressive enough.  I think we are probably last in trying to steal a base.  Hard to understand since we are a team with decent speed.

I was not in favor of the Mets signing Lindor.  To be honest, I was a fan of Rosario and thought he was a more than an adequate SS.   But I accepted the trade expecting that Lindor would be a solid offensive threat.  His defense is as advertised but, I can’t remember seeing a more inept hitter in my lifetime of following this team. 

I have always advocated for McNeil to be a top of the order hitter.  My ideal lineup has McNeil batting second behind Nimmo.  McNeil is probably the best hitter on the team and it’s counter-productive to bat him seventh. Lindor is better suited for the # three slot or lower if he continues to fail to produce.

Maybe it’s time to give Lindor a rest.  They have a former college shortstop on their team who’s a heck of a pitcher.  And, we know deGrom can hit.

 

Ray

8 comments:

Mack Ade said...

Morning Ray.

A few things.

1. For the life of me I can't understand why everyone on Twitter trashed Davis. He is a kind and gentle man that worked his butt off every day he was with the Mets. Batting coaches don't play the game and changing the approach of a major leaguer, who has been hitting the same since CYO baseball, is something players fight against every day.

2. I also was not a big fan of trading for Lindor. We had plenty of SS material (Rosario, Gimenez, Mauricio) and some of this money could have been spent on either Springer or Realmuto.

3. Edwin Diaz should NEVER be brought into a game unless it is under a save condition. First of all, HE HATES IT, and obviously doesn't have his game face under these conditions.

4. Very early in the season.

5. Imagine I told you what the ERAs were at this point in the season, for all 5 starters. With this lineup, you would think we have lost only 2-3 games.

Tom Brennan said...

Lindor better not be the next Zoilo Versalles, Ray. You know how Zoilo's career evaporated - Lindor sure better not.

Edwin's back was tight - even if used, he should have been pulled sooner. He probably told Rojas he could keep Hoskins in the park - and how right he was (if he said it, which I am making up).

The hitters have been an utter disappointment - and I am very disappointed in Almora over Marisnick - the latter is playing a lot and hitting very well. Almora? .071? Come on. Keep that up and I'd call up Mallex Smith SOON.

Lucchesi I like - but he needs to have sharp control - no Lucchesi meatballs, please. When Carrasco, Thor, and Lugo return, he could become a trade chip.

McCann has played so much due to so many days off. That will abruptly change. Good to see Nido, my most picked-on Met, hit well last night. Keep it up and Nido and McCann may end up 50-50.



Gary Seagren said...

Diaz should have "Enter Sandman" blasting when he enter's a game unless the Evil Empire retired the song:) NIDO NEEDS TO PLAY MORE period and probably will now and am very curious to see if he's played tonight. I'm like all of you on Lindor. I liked the move but didn't love it like I thought I would as there were so many other options and with money not and issue for the first time in forever what's the rush? I just see McCann as another .230 hitting catcher and he's making 40 million.... now that's a real head scratcher along with FOUR MORE YEARS.

RDS900 said...

You and I are on the same page.

RDS900 said...

Tom, I really hate to trash Lindor but he does not look like a solid hitter or someone who will improve with some minor tweakes.

RDS900 said...

My good feelings about Samdy have dropped down a couple of notches.

Tom Brennan said...

I have something hopeful to say about Lindor tomorrow.

RDS900 said...

Hopeful? Really!