6/22/13

Draft 14 – Derek Fisher, Aaron Nola, Jeff Hoffman, Dillon Overton, Denz'l Chapman



6-10-13 - Derek Fisher, OF Virginia - Fisher was one of my favorite players in the 2011 draft class.  He is a good athlete with a line drive swing with good bat speed.  There is good power projection in his bat.  His approach has improved over the last year at Virginia. link

6-11-13 - 5. Aaron Nola, RHP, Louisiana State: What's a Draft class without a top LSU arm? Nola was LSU's Friday starter this year, going 12-0 with a 1.68 ERA, striking out nearly a batter per inning while holding hitters to a .187 BAA. LINK

6-13-13  -  10. Seattle Mariners — Jeff Hoffman, RHP, East Carolina - The 6’-4”, 190 pound right-hander is a workhorse who could have a Jonathan Gray-like rise next season with continued development on his curveball and change-up, both of which are solid offering right now. His fastball is a plus pitch already and touches 97 mph. Over 15 starts this season, he had a 3.20 ERA, 1.26 WHIP and 84 K/39 BB over 109.2 innings. His 7.3 innings-per-start show the kind of stamina he has and he maintains velocity deep in games. LINK

Oklahoma head coach Sonny Galloway announced he was becoming head coach at Auburn. Junior prospect SP Dillon Overton had some choice tweets for his ex-coach as it seems both (63rd overall pick by Oakland) are leaving:

“All the crap I went through this year/season... But my team helped me through it. Good luck with the new coach boys. Thanks for being two faced the entire time I knew you. Lied to our whole team and never had any of our backs. The program made me better...which is something you couldn't do. I hope all the talking behind my back to my teammates comes back to you in some way. You really disappointed me and all my teammates. Good luck at Auburn.”


6-17-13 - Denz'l Chapman is accustomed to the spotlight. He remembers a moment in Las Vegas, competing for a team from his hometown of Gardena, Calif., against players from all over the country, with the game on the line.  In a youth bowling tournament.  "That's a family thing, we love to (go bowling)," said Chapman, who learned the game from his father. "I think I went out there with something like a 200 average."  Chapman's team didn't win that day -- "We came in like third or fourth" he says -- but it might be just as well. LINK

No comments: