8/6/24

MACK - Tuesday Morning Observations

 

Observations –

 

            Let’s try and look ahead to 2025 and try to construct the rotations of each of the full season affiliate teams.

             Syracuse –

            I expect Blade Tidwell, Brandon Sproat,  and Justin Jarvis to open the season repeating here. All are talented pitchers, but only Sproat stands out as star material. The other two are still works in progress and need more time at this level to develop. Especially Tidwell, who came to the Mets with a “can’t miss” tag. Well, he’s missing this season and is nowhere ready for the majors.

            I project the two new guys to this rotation will be Joander Suarez and Nolan McLean.

            As for Mike Vasil and Dom Hamel, I see their future in 2025 as one inning relievers with the parent club.

            The Mets will need to designate an SP6 here in case someone gets injured… and, they already do. My guess it will be Luis Moreno.

           

             Binghamton –

            Jonah Tong, Douglas Orellana, and Felipe de la Cruz are my lock-ins for the B-Mets rotation.

            My guess at this point is Jonathan Pintero and Jack Wenninger will fill out the opening day rotation.

            Past that, my SP6 candidate is toss up between returning Calvin Ziegler or Jordan Geber.

 

             Brooklyn –

             Joel Diaz has not been having a great season, but he does come with prospect chops, so I’m not going to give up on him yet.

            Now is when past injuries can come into play. I mentioned Zeigler starting off in Binghamton, but they might so pace him and open him up here. If… and it’s a big if… Matt Allan returns, this is where he will start 2025. And once prospect and still sometimes starter, Robert Colina, could open up here.

            Past this, Franklin Gomez or Zach Thornton would make sense.

            I would love to project some of the recent draft picks here, but the Mets rarely ever start them off at this level.

 

            St. Lucie –

            2024 draft picks will come into play here.

            My guess is Jonathan Santucci, Nate Dohm, and Tanner Witt will open here.

            Jorge De Leon could repeat here. It’s hard to project any of this season’s FCL pitchers getting promoted which leaves additional draft picks Will Watson, Brendan Girton and R.J. Gordon, in play.   

14 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, me? I think Sproat is in the Mets’ opening day rotation. I believe he will climb the AAA mountain quickly. Then, Vasil or Hamel would remain in the AAA rotation.

I also wonder if Santucci starts in Brooklyn, like Sproat did. He’s had 128 college innings.

Allan? Hopefully he gets in some games this year. Wheeler had his TJS and nerve realignment surgeries and became a star pitcher. Maybe Allan can too.

Lastly, Ziggy I believe had his TJS in April, so Iam guessing he misses first half of 2025 before he returns. I wish Tommy John had just stuck to underwear.

Mack Ade said...

Morning Tom

I am more conservative than you but you could be right about Sproat

Let's see how he does in his first five outings at AAA

Regarding draft picks... some will play this weekend in the new FCL post season whatever

Eddie from Corona said...

Both are way too conservative….
Spraot should be on the big club now….
I don’t believe you need AAA experience

He dominated AA and great players make that jump all the time

I am even thinking that Instead of the bullpen he should be the 3rd starter and probably the starter in the playoffs

Let stars shine

D J said...

Mack,
As always excellent information.I would suggest a follow up articles on the " FCL post season games/ training sessions". I know all of us have an interest in this year's draft picks and DSL prospects who are ranked high.

Mack Ade said...

Eddie

You're going all Paul Skenes here.

A pitcher bypassing AAA is rare in this game

Let him adjust to the hitters in AAA

Pump the breaks, son.

Mack Ade said...

DJ

I will if I can find them

TexasGusCC said...

I also believe that Sproat is on track to be in Queens next April. Don’t forget, Stearns like challenging players and being aggressive with his pitchers.

Matt Allen may come back as a reliever, just to get used to pitching competitively again… Ziegler, I just don’t know…

Another angle is putting Sproat on the 40 man now means you are losing a spot in November. You can wait until March and gain a roster spot. The Mets have enough without him.

TexasGusCC said...

Some good stuff to watch:
https://sny.tv/video/joe-demayo-analyzes-brandon-sproat-luisangel-acuna-and-other-mets-prospects

Rds 900. said...

I'd be surprised if Sprout didn't make opening day roster. Compare to Spencer Strider who basically bypassed AAA.

That Adam Smith said...

Betting that they’re open to, but not committed to Sproat in the OD rotation. AAA is very hitter friendly this year, so the rest of the season will be a good test for him.

Tom Brennan said...

Adam, after watching the video clips of Sproat’s 11 straight Ks,if he 5rows that sort of stuff, he should dominate.

D J said...

Mack,
Tim Boyle with Rising Apple is throwing out the idea that Sean Manaea could be a qualifying offer in 2025. I guess I thought he did not qualify for an offer. Do you see this happening? If he refused the offer the Mets get an additional draft pick. Something to think about.

Rds 900. said...

We should have try to bring back Manaea.

Tom Brennan said...

Manaea would be welcome in 2025, to me. Bring him back for Samoa.