8/27/24

MACK - Tuesday Morning Observations - 2026

 

Observations –

 

Someone asked me what I see this team becoming in 2026.

This is what I see…

 

1B – IN PLAY… I would move on from Pete Alonso. That’s just me. We all would love Juan Soto to be on this team next season, but, it’s highly unlikely. My hope is they would take this off-season’s dead money + Pete’s bucks and go get at least one of the top starters that will be available in this off season. We’ll revisit this when we get to the starter portion of this article. As for first, Ryan Clifford could fit in well here, but he also can play an adequate corner. A safer choice on my team is Mark Vientos. By 2026, he will easily produce home runs at the Alonso level.

 

2B – IN PLAY… Jeff McNeil has a contract through 2026, with a club option through 2027. Very desirable to other teams looking for a professional bat that can play this position, as well the corners. I love what he is doing right now, but will be still be producing at this level two seasons from now? Middle infielders are very important to the success of teams. Their defense, as well as centerfielders, pitchers, and catchers, make or break a season. 

By 2027, if Jeff is still on the team, I would make him a super utility player. If not, I want someone that is faster and plays better defense. That would be Luisangel Acuna (who also plays ++ centerfield). I believe by 2027 his offensive output will be at a pro-level. Note… because of McNeil’s current age, moving him in a trade would make much more sense THIS off-season.

 

SS – TAKEN… Baseball’s top shortstop, Francisco Lindor, has a contract through 2031. He ain’t going nowhere for quite a while. I don’t need to spend much time here.

 

3B – IN PLAY… I don’t have Mark Vientos playing here in 2027, no less 2028. My choice is Ronny Mauricio. Third base is his more comfortable position, though he also plays a credible short and second. Next season could be a maturation year for him (as second base would be for Luisangel Acuna, if Jeff McNeil is traded this off-season). I look for big things from Ronny, come 2026.

 

LF – TAKEN… Brandon Nimmo has a contract through 2030. Sure, he can play center, but the Mets have better defensive centerfielders in play here. Nimmo is also one of the clubhouse leaders, which means a lot to the other players on this team. The Mets lineup will be much younger by 2026 and guys like Nimmo and Francisco Lindor will be the mentors going forward

 

CF – IN PLAY… There will be options here. Nimmo could move back here and he would do an adequate job. Acuna is projected to be better defensively. But Drew Gilbert fits perfectly here. A power hitter plus a ++ centerfield defensive game. I have 2025 as a transition year for him from AAA, but he should be solidly in place here for 2026.

 

RF – IN PLAY… Starling Marte will be gone. Lots of options here… Acuna could play here… someone from the outside… or Ryan Clifford. But me? I have the only person currently in the minor leagues that has 50 stolen bases,50 runs scored, 50 walks, and hitting .300. This would be a fast-paced Nick Morabito, another centerfielder with a quality glove and exceptional speed. Nick is dominating Brooklyn this year and I see no reason why he couldn’t use next season to blow through both AA and AAA.

 

C – TAKEN… Francisco Alvarez will not be a free agent until 2029. He’s currently 22 and is getting better t this every year. I see him as a .260/25-HR guy with great defensive chops and a sharp command of the pitchers he catches. They love him and he will be around for a long time..

           

SP1 – TAKEN… Kodai Senga is under contract through 2027, with a vesting for 2028. He’s my “Friday Starter” unless a better one is signed that is currently pitching for another team.

SP2 – IN PLAY… this would go to either Corbin Burnes, Max Fried, or Blake Snell. I would throw stupid money at all three of these in this upcoming off-season, with the message to them that two of these offers will be pulled back as soon as one of these pitchers agrees to become a Met. They would all be in the 3-year range, with a possible additional year team option.

SP3 – TAKEN… Christian Scott will not be a free agent until well after 2028. 2025 should be the perfect season for him to mature, leading to a dominant year in 2026. I believe this is a special arm.

 

SP4 – TAKEN… David Peterson has passed the litmus test. He is now a legitimate major league starter. He is eligible to become a free agent in 2027. Hopefully, by 2027, he will cut back on the pitches and last a little onger in each start. If he doesn’t… fine… I can live with him as an SP4.

 

SP5 – IN PLAY… This is the year Brandon Sproat should begin to shine. Next season will be a transition year from AAA. He doesn’t become eligible for free agency until the next decade. Potentially, Sproat may wind up a front-end starter. He has the raw talent to do this. Only time will tell, but if he remains here, he could wind up the most talented SP5 in the league.

14 comments:

Steve said...

I do this exercise quite often. My question is Jett Williams? I think with him at second, you give up some defense but gain some offense over Acuna. With his set-back this year, will he be ready for 2026? I keep seeing Acuna as a bench player able to supply the depth he can provide as you noted.
I keep going to FA and signing a top of the rotation starter as well. Tidwell and others should be able to provide the necessary depth. Although he is having a good year, I am also on the fence with Peterson. I guess that is what I will find out in 2025.

Reese Kaplan said...

In 2025 the Mets should have Senga, Scott, Peterson and may have Manaea if they choose to negotiate with him over his player option. Severino is a free agent to be and could be the fallback position if Manaea jets out of town.

Tom Brennan said...

I’d like Manaea to stay. My guess is Benge is ready for 2026.

That Adam Smith said...

I keep envisioning Morabito and Jett hitting 9-1 in 2026, stealing 40 bases each and driving opposing pitchers crazy. That feels like a strong basis for a modern era offense. If so, your OF is set with Morabito, Nimmo, and Gilbert. Most of the power, in that case will need to come from elsewhere. I’m less sold on Acuña to this point, next year will be big for him. I think that a lot hinges on whether Mauricio can fully rebound. If so, he should provide 25 HR at 3B with Vientos good for 30+ HR as either your 1B or DH. A lot too will ride on Clifford’s development next season to see if he provides another power bat as the DH/1B compliment to Vientos. All of this means that 2025 is likely a transition/proving ground season for a suddenly much younger team, which makes me wonder whether the team takes on the risk of a big FA SP this offseason, or waits for the kids to be ready to truly compete heading into ‘26 before making that move.

D J said...

Mack,
Do you see Nolan McLean making the staff as a possible starter or reliever in 2026?

Paul Articulates said...

I agree with just about all of the positions. Only first base is a question. I get that the sentiment is currently against Pete because of his very poor year, but I'm not ready to accept Vientos as the best solution there. He does not seem to have the fielding instincts to be a top infielder no matter where he is placed. I also know he is young to be just a DH, but I want his glove on the bench and his bat in the lineup.

Viper said...

One of the biggest fault of the Mets is "They cannot follow a plan". I have said this before and will say it again. They had the perfect opportunity to import great prospects from other teams by trading Alonso, Severino and others.

But they instead looked the other way and ignored the many deficiencies this team has. Now they are fighting for the 3rd WC and not doing a good job at it.

Anyway, I do agree with Mack that 2025 is a lets see what we have in-house while planning the 2026 to be the real contender. Can either Acuna or Jett become our version of Rafael Furcal?.

Paul, if the Mets were able to live with Alonso at 1B, how is Vientos worse?. Vientos to me will become a better 1B than Alonso and hit at least 30 hrs with a 270 average or better while making 2M.

TexasGusCC said...

Viper, didn’t they tell you that they expected to contend? The one year deals weren’t to sell off, but rather to find flexibility in the payroll. Can you imagine the furor if they sold at the deadline? This is still a business and they don’t need more Acunas or the like.

Jeff McNeil is gone this winter: guaranteed. They say Stearns is more Branch Rickey than anyone else, in that he will trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late. Acuna can be McNeil next year, and Mauricio can be at second. We all know the names and how they are put together is becoming clearer, the real fun is figuring out the pitching. Sign an ace the wrong side of 30? For how long? Look for one year guys? Keep looking for the next Manaea?

Tom Brennan said...

Let’s win a World Series this year, with Senga as our returning post season ace.

Tom Brennan said...

DJ, I think McLean could be a power reliever in early 2025, or a Mets starter after the ASB in 2025.; don’t let his W-L record deceive you.

Tom Brennan said...

I would like to see Jett in Brooklyn this week, Binghamton the next week, and finish out in Syracuse, before AZ Fall Ball. The Mets will need him at some point in 2025. Get him 2024 at bats, as many as possible.

TexasGusCC said...

I have pounded the Sasaki drum for a while and believe that if they went after Yamamoto, they’ll do the same for Sasaki. I also have the scruples to sign Bauer or Urais if need be. Everyone gets second chances.

Gary Seagren said...

Last thing I read was Sasaki is already a Dodger ain't that great. To me I want Burnes and Soto and really go for a ring next year. Nimmo also needs to figure out how to not disappear for months at a time as its getting ridiculous all ready.

Tom Brennan said...

Bauer at minimum wage next year? Hmmm...