8/13/24

SAVAGE VIEWS – THEY SAID WHAT?

SAY WHAT??


Over the course of a season, we have all said things we wish we could retract. I’m as guilty as anyone.  Here are a few from the past seven days.

PETE ALONSO

“I mean, I’m on pace for close to 40 homers. I’m an All-Star, or I was an All-Star this year. So to beat myself up or be frustrated, it’s really no use. And I’m really excited for the end of the year where we get to play winning baseball.”  

Poor Pete, he doesn’t realize he’s having a mediocre year even by his standards. Can anyone imagine Aaron Judge being satisfied with his MVP caliber year? Pete is heading in the wrong direction and he’ll be lucky to get a new contract for more than 3-4 years at $25 million per.

STEVE GELBS

While subbing for Gary Cohen, Steve made the comment that he hopes the Mets bring back JD Martinez in 2025. If JD does come back, I hope it’s as batting instructor. From my perspective, JD has lost his ability to be an impact player in the middle of the order. 

Right now, he is a drag on the lineup. Clearly, he has been a positive influence in the clubhouse. The team needs someone to take over the three hole and JD is not the answer.

JOE BEGNITO

It seems Joe is in love with Carlos Mendoza as the manager of the Mets.  Carlos has developed a strong rapport with the NY media and that’s important for any manager to succeed in the New York market.  Also, he appears to be well-liked by the players. Trouble is, since the All-Star break, the Mets have been a mediocre team. For a brief spurt, Lindor and McNeil carried the team -  both have cooled off. 

The core group of Nimmo, Alonso, Alvarez and Vientos have suffered a dramatic drop in production with no signs of recovery. Mendoza continues to make strange bullpen and lineup decisions.  Wonder why Alvarez has been reduced to a platoon player. If he is suffering from an injury, perhaps he should be placed on injured reserve. Hopefully, one day Mendoza will turn out to be a good manager – he’s not there yet.

ABBY MASTRACCO – New York News

Abby thinks Lindor is having a MVP season.  I wish that were the case – pre, pre-season I had forecast that Lindor would be in the running for the award. While Lindor is the best player on the team, he has had a hot and cold season. I can’t imagine him garnering any MVP votes.

RAY

Last week I said the Braves were a lock for a wild-card spot. What a difference a week makes. While I don’t believe the Mets will finish with a better record than the Braves. I would not be surprised if either the Giants or Cards leapfrog them.

ANOTHER EASY WEEK

Would anyone be surprised if we split the next six games against the A’s and Marlins?

Ray

August 13, 2014

9 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

A split of the next 6 games? Only if Mets scoring resumes. JD may yet decide to retire. With a paltry minor league system as it pertains to its hitters, who will replace Pete if he goes, that won’t be White Sox quality players? Is Stanek showing up today and his imposter twin leaving?

Paul Articulates said...

The truth hurts. Well said Ray.

D J said...

Ray,
The Mariners exposed the Mets weaknesses this past week. Those areas will have to be addressed if this team competes in 2025.

Tom Brennan said...

D J, easier said than done. Pete, if he comes back, is getting older. Jeff and Brandon? Getting older. Lindor, too. Marte? Definitely. Pitchers, too. Thankfully, we will have $60 million less in pay to former Mets in 2025 than they did in 2024. That will help, but spending must be impactful and wise.

TexasGusCC said...

Ray, Lindor has accumulated 5.3 fWAR, which is fourth in the N.L. Ohtani is first with 5.8, which from a half player DH that gets nothing from defense or his pitching is eye popping. Still, Lindor right now is hanging around the conversation.

Paul Articulates said...

I agree with you on Lindor. He is having a "MVP worthy" season because of his value to this team and his accomplishments on offense, defense, and off the field. It is just not a season as good as some other candidates, and the team is not winning, so his chances of winning an MVP vote are nil.

Rds 900. said...

Still, not quite a MVP Season.

Denis Savage said...

Years ago, I called up SDSU to interview Tony Gwynn. This was right after he was inducted into the Hall. I left a message. He called me back. I answer and he says, "Denis, it's Tony." I say, "Tony who?" He replies, "Gwynn, man! Everyone knows my voice!" I felt the same when I read "Ray" - "Ray who?" Hahaha.

Rds 900. said...

Cool