7/12/11

Q and A: - What If’s…

Toby asked:


“Hey Mack… I wanted to get your thoughts on roster moves that should happen in the back end of this season, and who you would move when these happen.”


Mack:


“Great question for the All-Star break.


In no particular order:


1. RF Carlos Beltran comes back from the ASG – the obvious here is to return Nick Evans to Buffalo, but I would rather continue the building of the future by giving time to the minor league players that have mastered the minors and deserves any chance they can get in the majors. Based on that, I would release, or option, Jason Pridie and keep Evans as a backup in the OF, 3B, and 1B.


2. 3B David Wright returns… assuming that Wright is the first to return from the DL, I would avoid the second base question here and release, or option Scott Harrison. Yeah I know, he’s hit a couple of clutch homers, but I’d much rather have Evans be given one final chance to hook on.


3. SS Jose Reyes returns… there really isn’t a debate here… Daniel Murphy’s bat is too valuable during this wild card race, Justin Turner is your best clutch bat off the bench, and Ruben Tejada needs to be returned to Buffalo for the remainder of the season. Return him if Reyes is traded (he won’t be…) or package him after you give Jose more dinero than we give Pakistan.


4. 1B Ike Davis returns… this is when I release RHH Willie Harris… Lucas Duda will become the 4th outfielder with Evans the 5th.


5. RF Carlos Beltran is traded… I assume whomever they get in this trade will be a prospect and be assigned to one of the minor league teams. I would now create a platoon in right with Duda and Evans and would promote Fernando Rodriguez to the 5th outfielder.


6. CL Francisco Rodriguez is traded… I believe this will now happen with Scott Boras’ help. You don’t change to an agent like this at the all-star break if you don’t want offers to cross your desk. Again, look for a prospect here, and I would move Bobby Parnell into the closer role for the remainder of the year, to see if he can do it. I would promote Jose De La Torre or Ryota Igarashi to Queens.


7. SP Johan Santana returns… this isn’t going to happen, but if it did, Capuano is a better choice to remain than Gee.


8. End of the Year 40-man changes – I would take off the 40-man: Pridie, Harris, Harrison, Beltran, Mike Nickeas, Josh Stinson, Dale Thayer, K-Rod, Michael O’Connor, Taylor Buchhotz (I know, that’s depressing…) and Manny Alvarez.

No comments: