7/5/11

Steve Matz, Adam O’Neill, Dustin Lawley, Reyes Return, Ike Davis Update


Steve Matz:


7-5-11: - I talked with Steve last night, who has been shut down for the remainder of the year. Matz, who was the Mets number one pick (72nd overall) in the 2009 draft, has been recovering from TJS and doctors have decided to take the long road on his recovery. “I was back facing hitters and it just wasn’t feeling right”, said Matz. “They told me I just need some more rest. I will hopefully throwing bullpens when the instruction leagues come around. It’s frustrating, but I’ve got to be patient.” We’re all in his corner and wish him both strength and patience through this period.


Adam O’Neill:


7-5-11: - I also talked to Adam , who has been out of the GCL Mets lineup for around three week. He flew up to New York yesterday for an MRI on what has been diagnosed as a “UCL sprain”. We’ll let you know the results tomorrow.


Dustin Lawley:


7-5-11: - Okay, we’re going to have to keep an eye on K-Port OFer, Dustin Lawley. He went 4-5 last night, raising his line to .320/.345/.500/.845. It includes one home run but only two more walks than that.The 22-yr. old comes out of Wallace State CC/University of West Florida, as a 19th round draft pick this past June. Had nice stats in his senior year (.338, 10-HR, 22-doubles, 28-SB), but one always questions the competition this far down. Still, anyone that bats over .300 at any level gets our attention.


Reyes Return:


Rush back? What's the hurry? The Mets' star shortstop isn't about to jeopardize his season by returning too soon from the strained left hamstring injury he sustained Saturday against the Yankees. Reyes, diagnosed with a Grade 1 (the least severe) strain, wasn't available last night, but remains hopeful he will play at some point on this West Coast trip. "I feel like I'm getting better every day, but I don't want to get on the field too soon, because I know what happened in 2009 when I tried to get on the field too soon," Reyes said before the Mets beat the Dodgers 5-2. "Right now I have to take my time." - http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/reyes_won_rush_his_return_jbfE0zpNZCdUZtZ5vkWO3O#ixzz1REXqvJRi  


Ike Davis Update:


Ike Davis (ankle) will judge how cartilage damage is healing next week. If the first baseman can comfortably run, he will starting taking further steps toward a return. Otherwise, he may be headed for season-ending surgery (after an outside medical opinion is sought to confirm what Mets doctors advised). - http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/28468/mets-morning-briefing-7-5-11  

No comments: