8/20/11

I May Be Wrong, But…




1. It’s easy to get wrapped up in what I call “The Big 4” (Matt Harvey, Zack Wheeler, Jeurys Familia, Jenrry Mejia) that we tend to look past these guys and recognize the depth that seems to be being developed in the system. Off the top of my head, Chris Schwinden, Darin Gorski, Angel Cuan, Akeel Morris, Greg Peavey, Erik Goeddel, Juan Urbina, Cory Mazzoni, Michael Fulmer, and Luis Mateo are all showing the signs that they could someday become a major league starter. What happens if ten of these guys go all the way? What a wonderful position to be in.


2. Okay, Jason Bay, Chris Capuano, D.J. Carrasco, Willie Harris and Angel Pagan have passed through the waiver process unclaimed. Now, don’t get excited yet. This doesn’t mean any or all of these guys are going to be traded, but it does give the Mets at least the opportunity to discuss a possible deal that could happen before the season ends. People that no one wants usually pass through waivers.


3. Regarding the Rule V… here are the players that will be eligible for the Rule V Draft, for the first time: Pitchers: Mark Cohoon, Robert Carson, Brandon Moore, Brad Holt, Jimmy Fuller. Outfielders: Kirk Nieuwenhuis, Sean Ratliff. Infielders: Reese Havens, Josh Satin, Eric Campbell. Cather: Kai Gronauer.


4. I really like the creativity coming out in the Alderson camp. The sharing of 16th round draft pick Bradley Marguez with the Texas Tech football team is something you never would have seen under Omar Minaya and all it costs is money. If you don’t do this, you stand no chance of getting this very toolsy kid who just might be the fastest player in the organization. I remember a guy in Dallas, Hyman Childs, tried to hire me and I asked him why. He said: “if you want unreachable revenue, you need to hire unreachable salespeople…”. Alderson reminds me of Hyman.


5. Never in my wildest dreams did I think the Mets would sign SS Phillip Evans. Every team avoided this high school start because he was so committed to college, but the Mets went out there and reeled him in. He was a star shortstop, that projects to a 20/20 golden glover at second base… and he also can catch.


6. In retrospect, I was too harsh on the Mets draft. I didn’t have much info on some of the picks and I never thought the Mets would near some of these picks, no less sign them. I will say that I believe the fact that this was the last year for over-slotting might have had something to do with it, but let’s give credit where credit is due. The Mets did good.


7. Don’t believe all these last minute draft deals were only completed with five minutes left on the clock. The agent community are like Coke and Pepsi. There is nothing positive in announcing early that you have paid someone thought to be worth a one million dollar bonus, eight million dollars. You upset the applecart for all the agents still trying to close a deal, including some of your own clients.


8. What a stupid, asshole, sad, pathetic person wants to become the first North American baseball player to test positive for HGH? I have met Mike Jacobs and had a wonderful ten minute conversation with him outside Duffy’s one ST. But still, why would someone look this pathetic trying to hold on in an industry that no longer wants him? No, I’m not talking about me and broadcasting.


9.DePodesa’s comments in the SNY booth that he feels the weakness in the system lied in “middle infielders” and catchers speaks volumes about Wilmer Flores, Jefry Marte, and Aderlin Rodriquez being moved soon to either first base or a corner outfield position.


10. I’m starting to feel that we’re all seeing the last starts Mike Pelfrey will have as a Met. I just don’t see any reason to tender him. My guess is Chris Young will come back and join Santana, Gee, Dickey, and Niese come spring.

4 comments:

Hobie said...

>> ..the weakness in the system lied in “middle infielders” and catchers speaks volumes about Wilmer Flores, Jefry Marte, and Aderlin Rodriquez being moved soon to either first base or... >>

Outside the box: ANY possibility that any of these (I'm thinking primarily Flores here) could be taught to manipulate the "tools of ignorance?"

Mack Ade said...

Hobie, I'm not sure what you mean... having some pain issues today so I am over-medicated... please explain

Hobie said...

Flores as catcher. (or ditto Marte, A-Rod)

Be well, Mack.

Mack Ade said...

I have never heard any of those three mentioned as a possible catcher prospect...

DePodesta is bvery high on Cam Maron and Jeff Glenn

Also, there is some talk to move Phillip Evans to catcher.

Evans told me he will get in the gCL lineup sometime next week, but he assumes it will be either at SS or 2B