8/17/11

Finding Nimmo

You've probably read about fifteen hundred times about the Mets managing to sign their top draft pick by now. The kid (I say this because I'm nearly a decade older than him) is a tall athletic outfielder who projects to have speed and power. We've watched video and read reports and frankly... does ANYONE know what we're ACTUALLY going to get?

Brandon Nimmo:
Born - 3/27/1993 Cheyenne, WY
Bats - Left / Throws - Right
Ht: 6'3" / Wt: 185 lbs
One of the comparisons I've read listed Hunter Pence as someone who might fit the mold of who Nimmo will be. That seems to fit best with the player I see... on some levels. Pence manages a good average by mixing his Jekyll and Hyde streaks well. He's got 20 SB speed and easily 20 HR power. Frankly, it's just as easy to see him as the next David Wright. Wright has a little more power than Pence (has the bad luck of playing in Citi-Field) and perhaps more speed (I think David just runs more). The difference in Pence's favor is that he keeps the powerful and dangerous Mr. Hyde on the field as much as the feeble Dr. Jekyll. So... how will Nimmo compare?

RIGHT NOW... Nimmo doesn't quite match up. For one, I don't think the power is anything more than a projection based on his size and build. Nimmo can fill out and be a beast... or... he could never have more than gap-to-gap power. Speed-wise, Nimmo is probably something more than 20 SB's right now. Pence was too before he started focusing on the long-ball. I can't claim who is the faster but Nimmo's legs seem like a real source of something good. Something that Nimmo has shown as an Amateur that Pence and (the current incarnation of) Wright hasn't is steady hitting. I think we can all dismiss some of his .400+ batting averages from his pre-pro days. (Just look at Robin Ventura's college career.) Still... can we really dismiss it all?

I for one am on my way to 42 Wallaby Way in Sydney, Australia. I just want to see him play... and maybe meet Willem Dafoe. Here's hoping the Mets can get him time on one of the short season teams to give us a taste.

No comments: