10/12/11

I May Be Wrong, But...


1. The Phillies Phlop, along with the Yankees Yank, should put to bed the “all the team you can buy” era of baseball. Now you see why Sandy Alderson wants to redefine the Mets. I believe he’ll get his wish which is why a lot of us are speculating that players like David Wright will be traded. I can’t predict at this point what comes first, decisions on Pelfrey and Pagan, or a decision with Reyes. We have to have patience here.

2. Everybody has Wifi. I’m typing from a room in a hospital in Daytona Beach. Do they have this stuff in confession booths? A local Florida man saw me walk in with a Met shirt on and shouted out “shitty team”. He had a Yankee hat on. I pointed to the hat  and said back “you would know.”  I miss New Yorkers.

3. The flurry of news articles today on K-Rod’s comments about signing with the Mets was quite amusing, but that’s about all it did for me. I was happy with him on the team and really thought the combo of J/J/ Putz and him would solve the 8th/9th inning situation for years to come, but even he said he was paid too much money. I can’t see the Mets shelling out $10+mil a season to him at this point in the obvious rebuilding of the team with players being developed in the system. Him  

4. There seems to be a considerable amount of noise regarding OF Juan Lagares lately. Let’s face it, he was really off the map after playing somewhat unsuccessfully for three seasons with Savannah. The second baseman switched to the outfield and quietly led the organization in hitting in 2011. Stat freaks will also point out that he’s doing this with a limited amount of strikeouts, though he could walk a few more times than he does. I expect a lot of press on this kid come the spring
5. I suspect that the threat that Wally Backman might bolt to the Nationals is all emotions and drama, something I am an expert on. Frankly, most of his time spent with the Mets... after... his playing days has been nothing but drama and noise, and this guy should be kissing Wilpon's ass for giving him a job back in the organization. I also assume he's pissed that Tim Teufel got a promotion first, which may have something to do with the fact that TUFF is a better manager than he is. Let him go. This team has enough real problems than this daytime soap opera.

3 comments:

Justin M. said...

Mack,
Can the Mets trade Wright next off-season after they pick up his option? They would benefit from this year's production, plus he might be more valuable next off season if he can stay healthy this year and go 30/100 with the reconfigured OF walls. Thanks.

Mack Ade said...

sure they can, but I'm not sure you will see another 30/100 year from him

if you're going to trade him, trade him when he's a year younger, espcially to a team like Colorado that desperately needs a hitter/team leader like that

Charles said...

Love the Florida Yankee fan story....Wish I knew more about Tuff as a manger, but I dont. Didnt know Wally was upsetting the apple cart, which is just crazy considering before Jeff Wilpon hired him, he couldn't get a job managing a Taco Bell. Amazing.