10/13/11

Q and A with Mack and... 3B Brian Harrison


Mack:   Morning folks. We're visiting today with my favorite Mets third baseman, right out of my daughter's alma mater, Hilton Head High School, Brian Harrison. Hey Brian. Are you on the island?

photo by Allan Greene
Harrison:   Hey Mack, I'm actually down in Fort Myers right now for instructional league but did get to spend a couple days back on the island after our season in Brooklyn ended. It was nice to be home and relax for a little bit.

Mack:  How many of you are in the Instruction League this month?

Harrison:  There are probably 45 guys or so.

Mack:  Brian, I expected to see you start the 2011 season back in Savannah but it wasn't to be. You had shoulder problems in camp, right?

Harrison:   Yeah, it was a tough offseason for me last year. I had recovered from shoulder surgery a couple years ago but started to have some problems at the end of last summer. So I spent the whole offseason rehabbing and attempting to come into camp healthy but still was not where I needed to be in early March. Weeks in the training room later, I finally started to feel the discomfort fade and the strength start to reappear and returned to Brooklyn for this season. I'm excited to be heading into this offseason healthy so I can do everything I need to be doing in the weight room and on the field.

Mack:  It's always tough to understand this when you're fighting to stay in the organization, but your health is still the most important thing.  Are you on the "Nitro" plan for the off-season?

Harrison:  I agree but I am very confident with where I am now physically. And yes Nitro just sent out our offseason workout plans so I looking forward to getting in the weight room and getting stronger. Nitro and his staff do an incredible job working with us during the season and have a strong program with multiple phases for the offseason. I'm also a little wary about this, but I am looking into doing yoga these next couple months as well!

Mack:  Can I get a picture of you doing yoga? 

Harrison:  Ha ha it's not going to be a pretty sight so I'm going to make sure there's no photographic evidence.

Mack:  Brian, regardless of your stats, I can't see you repeating Brooklyn for a third year. That means you probably will go to Savannah where Richard Lucas might join you.  What are you working on right now in the Instruction League that will earn you tat startling slot in "The Coastal Empire"?

Harrison:  Yeah, I did not quite have the year I had hoped for but I certainly don't think that those numbers are an indication of the player I know I am. It's been a really productive time for me down here and the coaches and I have simplified a few things which are already showing results. As far as next year goes, I hope to finish strong here in Fort Myers, work hard in spring training, and let the coaching staff and front office take care of the rest.

Mack:  Well, hang in there. Let me know if you get back on the island and we'll wing it at Wild Wings for lunch. Anthing you want to say to your fans out there on Mack's Mets?

Harrison:  That sounds great! To everyone, enjoy watching the playoffs and let's get ready for a great year next year. In the meantime...go Gamecocks and Giants! Don't sleep on Eli and the Gmen.
More Brian Stuff:


7-26-10: - I always get excited when one of my “local boys” gets drafted by the Mets. Harrison comes out of Hilton Head, South Carolina and had one hell of a night Sunday, hitting two home runs, went 3-5 overall, and knocked in four runs. His seasonal totals are equally impressive. He hit .296
in 27-AB for the GCL Mets, and, so far this season, for the Clones, he has 14-RBIs in 55-AB, and hitting .309/.361/.636/.997.
7-14-11: - http://www.amazinavenue.com/2011/7/11/2270752/mets-minors-road-report-binghamton-7-9-brooklyn-7-10 - Pretty solid at 3rd, made a pair of nice plays. Got fooled badly on a heater his first at-bat. He showed pretty good power, pulling one left of the foul pole that would have been out by a bunch, and scorched one back up the middle later in the game. Looked to be among the more polished guys in the game.
9-4-11: - Stock Up – 3B Brian Harrison – Harrison had a great game last night for Brooklyn: 3-4, 2B, BB, HR, 4-RBI. Brian played Savannah last year, but started this year on the DL and got pushed back to Brooklyn. I see him back in Savannah come the spring of 2012.



No comments: