10/8/11

Q and A with Mack and... RP Dustin Emmons

Mack:    Hey everybody, we're talking this morning with UC Riverside's own Dustin Emmons, who pitched K-Port this past season. Hey Dustin (is it Dusty?). Home resting?

photo by Allan Greene
Emmons:   Dusty is fine with me. I have a bunch of nicknames and yes I am at home, but have rested up enough and started to work out a little because we start with the famous "nitro" workout plan!! I am excited to get it gouge again on Monday!! Nitro being our strength coach!!

Mack:   Yeah, I've heard a lot about Nitro and the plan.  You've been a real breath of fresh air this past season. 17-G, 3.78-ERA. Tell us a little about the grind of your first professional season.

Emmons:   Well, it was a grind for sure; however, you just have to take it a day at a time and remember it's a marathon not a sprint. It is always fun to compete ever day and that is the challenge we face ever day, and I love it!

Mack:   I noticed you slipped in a start on the last game you pitched. Did we get a sneak peek at things to come?

Emmons:   In matter of fact u did!! I am comfortable in any role they see me in and I will be sure to contribute the best way I know how and that is to compete every time my name is called!!

Mack:   I love when I'm right... it happens every once in awhile. Am I correct to say that your sinker is your go-to pitch? What else you throwing these days?

Emmons:   Yes, that is my go-to pitch and try to force contact!! I started throwing a curve ball this year and also the change up!!

Mack:  Okay, this is a tough question. You're a right hander, yet your ERA vs. righties was 5.09. At the same time, you went 0.87 vs. lefties. Have you been able to identify how to improve these numbers?

Emmons:   That is funny you ask. Well,  I believe I have given up less than 5 extra base hits on the year. Don't quote me on it, but with the righties a lot this year my sinker was just sinking in to where they pulled it threw the 5-6 hole and with the lefties it was a rollover!!  So, my improvement is to really dial in my sinker to where it does not hang over the plate to righties and also I noticed I threw way more change ups to lefties than righties , throw my change up more to the righties!!

Mack:   See... I knew you had an answer. I'm going to make sure I keep an eye on you in camp and see where they slot you.  Is there anything you want to say to the folks reading this on Mack's Mets?

Emmons:   I just want to say to the Mets organization for giving me a shot at my dream and to all the fans out there just thank you for supporting us as players. When you come to watch just know that I am working my tail off this offseason to make it where i wanna go, To see ya'll at Citi field!! Thanks again!!
More on Dusty:
8-14-11: - http://metsmerizedonline.com/2011/08/kingsport-mets-team-report-stretch-run-edition.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MetsMerizedOnline-GetMetsmerized-NewYorkMets+%28Mets+Merized+Online%29&utm_content=Twitter - Dustin Emmons - The 6’1 RHP as appeared in 14 games out of the pen for the K-Mets, throwing 26 IP. The 2011 38th round draft pick out of UC Riverside is 2-0 with a 3.76 ERA. He still has work to do getting more swings and misses since he has allowed 34 Hits and a .309 opponents BA against, but he has only allowed 2 dingers. His K/BB ratio stands at 16/6.

No comments: