2/26/12

Draft Sunday - Mack's Mock


·         I’ve been asked a few times this week to do a mock draft. Many of you remember that I used to keep track of all the mocks out there and I would average them together and let you know the results monthly. I stopped doing that and turned over much of the draft responsibilities to other writers here; however, this daiy “D1” post meets my need to stay active on this subject.


What I will do is give you my current opinion where this draft would go if it was held today. And, I will do it up to the Mets pick at #12.

            #1 – RHSP Luc Giolito – This looks like one of those arms that only come along once in a long while. You know I love college starters, but it’s my belief Gio will become the first high school pitcher to go overall one.

            #2 – C Mike Zunino – Mike has wasted little time coming out of the box this young season. Line through Wedneday: .474/.565/.895. I don’t expect him to stay behind the plate in the pros, but he’s a special player in a non-special draft.

            #3 – OF-1B Victor Roache – Last year’s D1 leader in home runs already has two in five games this season.  Doesn’t play against top teams (0-3 vs. GT on Wednesday), but I still think his Ryan Howard comparison beats out the other outfield prospects.

            #4 – RHSP – Kevin Gausman – I have Kevin as the top college pitcher right now, though it is early.

            #5 – RHSP – Mark Appel -  It’s not that Appel has dropped. It’s that other guys have passed him and are currently hot. I may have the order wrong, but these are your top five players, right now, in the draft.

            #6 – OF – Byron Buxton – I did notice that Keith Law picked Buxton as the #1 overall pick. Buxton does little wrong and will definitely be gone before the Mets pick comes around.

            #7 – LHSP – Max Fried – Everyone loves a lefty and this is the best in the draft.

            #8 – SS – Deven Morreno – Morreno could go in the top 5 picks, but he definitely will be gone in the first ten.

            #9 – RHSP Walker Weikel – Weikel’s stock s way up and would have been a nice pick for the Mets.

            #10 – OF – David Dahl – This is the last of the three great outfield bats in the draft.

            #11 – C – Stryker Trahan – Frankly, people like me have pumped this kid up the mocks.


            #12 – This is the Mets pick. First, who’s left:           

                        RHSP – Chris Beck

                        RHP – Lance McCullers

                        RHP – Taylor Cherry

                        RHP/1B – Joey Gallo

                        RHRP/C – Austin Maddox

                        C – Peter O’Brien

                        LHSP – Brian Johnson

                        LHRP – Lex Rutledge

                        LHSP – Hunter Virant

                        SS – Carlos Correa

                        As much as I want a catcher, I’m going to go with the best player on the board… Lance McCullers Jr.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

if mccullers is thee at 12 and the mets dont take him, they need psyciatric help

Stephen Guilbert said...

Hahahaha agreed.

The way I see it, you go with "best available"...but only to a degree. The deepest position the Mets have in the system is RHP and by a LOT where as they are quite shallow up the middle, especially catcher and SS. That being said, I just would never see justifying drafting Wacha, Weickel, Barrett etc. with the #12 pick. There are only four righties I would take with our first pick: Appel, Giolito, Gausman, and McCullers and I have a feeling they might all be off the board by #12. All should be and I see no reason why McCullers is falling on mocks. In Fried vs. McCullers I still prefer Fried but it's close.

Mack-- You really think Stryker is going that early? Also, Zunino is a FANTASTIC defensive catcher...why no love for his projection?

Mack Ade said...

Steve:

I didn't mean that Zunin was a bad catcher. I just expect him to be moved to the outfield to save his legs.

Of course, the minute I posted this, Roache went down with what looks like a season ending injury.

Stephen Guilbert said...

Yea I saw that. Will be interesting to see how that effects his draft stock or if he'll elect to stay in school to go higher and get a bigger signing bonus.