1. Houston Astros: Mark Appel, RHP – Stanford2. Minnesota Twins: Mike Zunino, C – Florida
3. Seattle Mariners: Lucas Giolito, RHP – Harvard Westlake HS (CA)
4. Baltimore Orioles: Byron Buxton, OF – Appling Country HS (GA)
5. Kansas City Royals: Kevin Gausman, RHP – LSU
6. Chicago Cubs: David Dahl, CF – Oak Mountain HS (AL)
7. San Diego Padres: Deven Marrero, SS – Arizona State
8. Pittsburgh Pirates: Gavin Cecchini, SS – Barbe HS (CA)9. Miami Marlins: Lance McCullers, RHP – Jesuit HS (FL)
10. Colorado Rockies: Chris Beck, RHP – Georgie Southern
11. Oakland Athletics: Brian Johnson, LHP/1B – Florida
12. New York Mets: Max Fried, LHP – Harvard Westlake HS (CA)Good luck to any high school team who has to play Harvard Westlake this year. They have the top prep arm in Giolito and the best left-handed prep arm in Fried. Fried has a 89-92 mph fastball, but it is the curveball that is his real bread and butter. He modeled it off Sandy Koufax and has been throwing it since he was 12-years-old. On top of his “best in the country curveball”, he has an okay changeup that projects to be an above-average pitch. At 6’4″, 170 lbs there is still some projection left on his frame although he doesn’t really need much more on his fastball. It is going to be tough to sign away from UCLA, but the Mets showed a glimpse of being willing to spend in the draft last year and Fried could turn out to be a steal.
Mack - love the pick, but I can't see DePo passing on Victor Roache (already 2-HRs in 3-G) if he was still on the board. Probably a moot point since neither is expects to be around at #12.