2/17/12

I May Be Wrong, But…


·         I talked to Charley Thurber, who seems ready for the 2012 season:

“Mack, I have arrived early in Port St. Lucie to be in-step with the routine and pace of my first Spring Training. My main focus is to be healthy this season. I am entering this year stronger, faster, and more durable. I am also focused on continuing to build rhythm in my swing to be in sync with my at-bats as the season approaches. I believe that I will show growth as an athlete, as an outfielder, and as a hitter. I look to use Spring Training as a platform to prepare myself for my first full season of professional baseball and to continue to establish myself as a prospect. I feel that my consistent approach at the plate, in the field, and in the weight room will maximize my ability to grow as a player and as a student of the game this spring; thus helping me throughout my career.”

Charley was a 39th round pick last season and got his feet wet in Brooklyn (.271/.329/.344/.673, 221-AB). He’s going to play 2012 as a 22-year old. I expect to see him in Savannah come April.     

Danny Muno’s were more simple and concise…

“Just looking to learn some new things and get ready for a successful season.”
 


And Dylan Owen, who easily could become the SP5 if Johan Santana stumbles:

“Start strong and stay healthy are my main objectives. But also get ready for the season and stay consistent throughout the season.”

Danny’s journey to Queens may have an easier path not playing shortstop. He seems blocked by J.C. Gamboa and would easily slip into the full time 2B job in Savannah for 2012.

Owen will most probably anchor the Bisons rotation, waiting for the bat-phone to ring. And trust me, when it comes to the health of Mets pitchers, it will ring.    
 

·         Howard Medgal has informed us that his media credentials were back on. Actually, the Mets issued some statement that they were never taken away. Good for Howard. He represents a newspaper (JournalNews) and it really doesn’t matter if the front office likes what he writes about. The newspaper has assigned him as the Mets beat guy and that is that.
Now, maybe I’ll check my… oh… yeah, I still never got my newspaper gig back L


·         Asked Thursday whether he's comfortable moving to third base to accommodate new shortstop Jose Reyes, Hanley Ramirez responded: "I have nothing to say”. - Rotoworld

This is far from over, folks. Bill Parcells put it best… “people don’t change.” I don’t care how close these two players are or how hard Ramirez tries to be nice and accept it, in the end, he’s an ego-driven player. He will be moved before the season starts.

·         Ex-Mets on the Move –



LHP Travis Blackley signed a minor league deal with San Francisco.




No comments: