11/2/13

CBS Sports Free Agent Predictions

images[1]


 

CBS Sports assembled their six baseball experts to predict the landing spots of the top free agents this year. Of interest to Mets fans were their thoughts on Shin Soo Choo, Carlos Beltran and Nelson Cruz.

Two of the six "experts" predicted that Choo would land with the Mets, but three said he would sign with Houston. Really??? I think it is unlikely that Houston would pursue Choo and even less likely that he would elect to go with the Astros. I am somewhat surprised that supposed experts would conclude that the Mets would ante up for Choo with the market for outfielders seemingly going through the roof.

One of CBS's experts siad the Mets would sign Cruz. That would be a pleasant surprise. None believed there would be a reunion between Beltran and the Mets. Four of the six said he would return to the Cardinals.

There were three free agents that all six experts agreed upon. The unanimous selections were Robinson Cano - Yankees, Brian Mcann - Rangers, and Mike Napoli - Red Sox. No surprises there.

If the Mets were to get either Choo or Cruz, I would be most gratified. I am concerned that Alderdson may be unwilling to pay the price in $ or years that would be required to snag an impact free agent. I can't wait to see how this off season plays out.

5 comments:

Mark said...

This time of year is always fun to speculate who might go where but I hope that pitching and defense wins out this offseason. Cruz is rumored to be the Phillies top choice as he is a power right handed bat with Ellsbury being an alternative choice if they feel they can move Revere. The problem with Cruz and Choo is that they are both sub par outfielders. The Phillies are going to have one of the worst defensive teams in all of baseball next year and I would really like to see the Mets go in the opposite direction. I know its not flashy but I would like the Mets too follow the Giants model of strong pitching and defense and pick up supporting pieces to make the Mets stronger until some more of their minor league players are ready. Personally, I would make resigning Marlon Byrd my top priority and then spend whatever it takes to get Tanaka for the rotation and then add someone like Rafael Furcal to compete with Ruben Tejada and Wilfredo Tovar for the starting shortstop position. My model would do two things. One, it would let the fans know the Mets were back as real players in the free agent pool by snagging Tanaka. Two, it would not cost second round pick next year. Remember that it's more than just the pick it is also the money associated with the pick. Next year's draft is going to be historically deep. The Mets need to be trading for more picks and money not losing picks. Mack can correct me on this but next year's second round players are going to be equivalent to this past years first round players. It is a very very deep and talented draft class. I just don't like signing aging players that are defensive liabilities at the beginning of their contracts that are only going to get worse. The flipside to my argument is that their are not going to be any good free agent outfielders in 2015 so it is going to be trade or develop our outfield. I think Puello will be ready mid summer so Byrd on a two year deal would be ideal.

Robert said...

I wouldn't sign 1 player that gives up a draft pick. Keep stock piling young talent in the farm system and I promise it's gong to pay off big time in the future.

Herb G said...

Robert - I have mixed feelings on giving up a 2nd round pick. Frankly, I'd rather the Mets trade for an outfielder with an impact bat, (Braun, Kemp, etc.) but if Alderson is unable to swing a trade, signing a FA with a QO may be the only way to go. The fact is, we desperately need an offensive upgrade.

Mark - I see where both Choo and Cruz have negative dWAR's, but I do not see either of them as defensive liabilities. Both play a reasonably good RF, relatively error free with better than average range. Perhaps they don't have the canon arms we would like to have out there, but they are both good enough to justify signing to bolster the lineup. Especially if we get a superior fielder for the other corner, having Lagares in CF will make up for any slight defensive shortcomings in RF.

I'd love to resign Byrd, but the Pirates are going hard after him too. I fully agree on Furcal, but I see him as a bench piece this year after coming back from TJ. We should still go after a better option at SS.

steve said...

MLBtraderumours has the Mets signing Arroyo-Drew-Granderson and Halladay.
I hope they sign Arroyo-Drew and Halladay.
But not Granderson.
What do you guys think?

Mack Ade said...

Well, since it's not my money, I love it.