11/12/13

Craig Brown - I May Be Wrong But...

avatar - i may be wrong

I was watching a George Steinbrenner documentary the other day, and as they were showing one of the many Yankee victory day parades...I wondered how I might be different as a baseball fan had I become a Yankee fan years ago.  It certainly would have been easier, and saved me plenty of heartache...but the conclusion that I came to is that any asshole can be a Yankee fan...It takes and shows character to continue to show loyalty to team and ownership group that doesn't seem to care as much as we do...and all the losing and mismanagement that we are all subjected to will make it that much sweeter when the Mets do finally turn it around.

 

So Sandy Alderson told a bunch of beat reporters yesterday that there is no way the Mets could justify having two 100 million dollar players on the team....I'm not surprised...I really didn't expect a big contract this year....but what does that say for guys like Harvey and Wheeler?  Will they look to move them in a couple years rather than add another big contract?  I'm lost with these guys....One day they are talking about how they are finally fiscally right again, and the next they are saying they don't have as much money as everyone thinks....

 

If someone told you that Justin Smoak would be the Mets starting First Baseman in 2014 would you be happy with that?  I can tell you that I wouldn't be...but if you don't like Justin Smoak then you shouldn't accept Ike Davis as a legitimate option either, because they are very similiar.  Both were college first baseman taken in the first round of the same draft, and both have been mostly disapointing.  Outside of the first half of 2011 and the second half of 2012, Smoak has actually been better than Davis...the sad thing is by better, I mean that he's hit around .230 with 20  home runs a season.  I know a lot of people disagree...but I will be really disapointed if the Mets start the year with either Duda or Davis at First.

 

I've heard some chatter out there that the Mets may look to Scott Kazmir to fill a rotation spot...I really hope not...Moneyball is supposed to be about acquiring baseball players that are undervalued--and my fear is that Kazmir is at his highest value right now.  You think its hard to watch Daisuke Matsuzaka pitch?  Watch a Kazmir game...He's generally at around 100 pitches by the fourth inning.

 

John Harper wrote an article the other day proposing five trades the Mets could make....The trade ideas in my opinion were mostly horrible, but there was one that at the very least was eye catching....Noah Syndergaard to the Cubs for Javier Baez is at the very least an interesting idea...I hate the idea of the Mets trading any young pitching, I really do...but Baez is at least as gifted an offensive player as Thor is as a pitcher....It might make me throw up for a couple days, but I think I would have to pull the trigger on that one.

 

 

2 comments:

Mack Ade said...

You think the Wilpons are nuts?

I was having a meeting with Barry Landers, the PR guy for the Yankees in the late 70s. George had three secretaries then and, in the middle of my meeting, fired one of them for putting too much mayo on his egg salad sandwich.

He was a piece of work.

Craig Brown said...

To be fair...Nothing ruins an egg salad sandwich like too much mayo...