Posted by Mack Ade at 8:00 AM
I was talking with Tom Brennan yesterday about a negative comment left on the site that I deleted. It was directed at a guest writer and was quite rude and unprofessional to both the writer and the site.
I’m not online like I use to be and, to be honest with all of you, negative comments on Mack’s Mets have always been around. The difference now is I used to check the site 8-10 times a day and I would delete the bad comments as quick as they posted.
It’s a difficult time to be a Mets fan right now. Nothing seems to be going right at this point in the season and I think it’s more than a coincidence that this bad comment came on the morning after the best Mets pitcher even threw a bad game.
Can the Mets tell their fans that they no longer are going to compete for the 2016 pennant and instead, concentrate on 2017? You can’t do this in ‘New Yawk City”! The newspapers will kill you, the fans will either stay home or turn vicious and you literally could affect the decision of some players whether they would come back next year and play for this team.
In my opinion, 2016 will not be the ‘Year of the Mets’. Washington would have to go into the tank to give the Mets a chance to win the division. Past that, the loser of the battle between the Dodgers and Giants looks to be a lock for one of the wild card teams. The Mets just don’t seem to have enough healthy talent to play the kind of .700+ ball that would be needed here.
1. I love the potential of a Cespedes-Conforto-Bruce outfield. Pick up Bruce’s 2017 option
2. Sign a new AAA affiliate deal with El Paso so Reese can get press passes
3. I love the idea of Wright and Reyes playing one more year together
4. Do everything you can to resign Walker
5. Find a new catcher and first baseman
6. Don’t even think of bringing back Wheeler this season.
7. Shut down Matz for the rest of the season.
8. Start the internal debating on whether someone needs to start a dialogue with Bartolo’s agent
9. DFA Granderson and Niese
10. Ask all of you to hang in there for the remainder of the season.