It's a really long ride, and my thoughts wander: and Tim Tebow divinely popped into my head. So it is article time.
So what was his tally, people? I'm so glad you asked.
Tebow decided to give other AFL players an offensive head start, going zero for his first 13.
Nonetheless, Tebow (Tim Terrific):
1. Outhit fellow Met Matt Oberste .192 to .184.
2. Had an on base % of .296, 88 points higher than Oberste.
3. Struck out 2 less times than fellow Met Champ Stuart in roughly the same plate appearances.
4. Was only 9th worst in the league in batting average.
5. Had a higher on base % than 19 other AFL hitters.
6. Had a .362 OBP once you exclude his first 13 plate appearance adjustment period.
7. Had a scintillating .405 OBP in his last 10 games, a rate which I would gladly take from any Mets starting position player in 2017.
8. Did all that despite being dead last in playing experience.
BOTTOM LINE: He greatly outperformed expectations, while outperforming a bunch of other seasoned minor league AFL players. And he was firing on all cylinders as the league season ended.
I think he will outperform in 2017, too. He always has.