5/13/21

Metstradamus - The Timeline Nobody Expected


 By  | 

If you had told me back in 2015 that in about five years there would be a global pandemic, and that nobody would leave their homes for the better part of a year, and I wasn’t going to go to a baseball game for 592 days, and my first game back I would see Matt Harvey starting against the Mets for the Baltimore Orioles, I would have told you …

“The Orioles? Really???”

But here we are, May 12th, 2021. We’re just returning to ballparks. 80% of the seats at Citi Field have plastic ties around them to keep people from sitting in them. And Matt Harvey is Dom Smith, Dominic an Oriole. To those who wonder what life would be like in an alternate universe, I would argue that we are in the alternate universe.

The Dark Knight rises. His fastball, not so much. (Metstradamus)

Harvey received a nice ovation when he took the mound for the bottom of the first. The guy shut down the ever powerful Scott Boras so that he could blow by his innings limit to pitch in the World Series for the Mets, knowing full well it could sabotage his career. Just by that alone, I don’t know why cheering him or booing him was even a question. (Oh wait, it was a question because all the argument shows need content. Silly me.) I’m glad the crowd at Citi today made the choice that it did.

As for the choice that I made, I had to see what everyone was talking about with this Polar Burger. This is the collaboration between Pete Alonso and Chef Jason Eksterowicz, and it is true to its name. Whereas the Keith Burger gave you the sharpness of cheddar and the heat of jalapenos, this goes down smooth as it was the Peppermint Patty of burgers. I realize that it’s all a matter of personal tasted, but I loved the coolness of the flavors. Let’s face it, I could bathe in maple carmelized onions so they had me there. Also with smoked gouda, this goes down smooth and puts a smile on your face. I also love that onion fritters are an option as a side. It comes with “claw sauce”, which really tastes like a smooth horseradish. Yes, it’s big. And yes, there are 1640 calories in this thing, officially. (Although I’d like to call for a recount.) I feel like I burned them off successfully by walking the hour to and from the ballpark today. Whether I actually did or not is up for debate, but just let me tell myself that.

And it had lettuce, so it’s healthy.

The latest in hamburger adventures at Citi Field: The Polar Burger (Metstradamus)

If we were in an alternate universe, perhaps Matt Harvey would have his own burger stand at Citi Field by now. (I’m envisioning something soaked in Jim Beam bourbon barbecue sauce … and no, I’m not being compensated for that). 

To continue reading click here.

No comments: