8/30/21

Remember's Ramblings: Or Miscellaneous Musings

 


Some Head Scratching Stuff



As a mere fan on the outside looking in, there are things I will never know, but would love to.  The following is a rambling of a few questions that I have asked myself and anyone else that might be in earshot.   Some have answers, some do not.   Some will become known with time, others may or may not. 

Here goes, in no particular order.

OK, wrong,  I'll focus first on something that has really been bugging me a lot.  I believe these fall under the category of 'somebody knows, but I never will'.

The saga of Kumar Rocker. 

- Should the Mets have known about his medical info prior to the draft?

- Did the other team selecting ahead of them?   If so, why and how?

- What is the nature of the medical issue that was so bad it submarined the whole process?

- If it was something fixable, why not just sign him and fix it?  

- The guy is a seemingly athletic at 22 years old very good pitcher when healthy.  Why is six million dollars in Steve Cohen and other baseball money too much to fix him?   They have wasted a lot more than that on a lot less reward. 

- What role did Boras have is (a) his drop to #10 selection and (b) his non-signing.   Seems counter intuitive to think that this would have been in anybody's best interest.

- Obviously this looks bad from a team PR perspective, but who is really at fault?    Should we go through life believing that the front office fumbled it, and if so, why?

- And anything else, because I don't know jack about this fiasco, and wish I had a reasonable story to rest with.  


Moving on to other more random baseball queries:


- Will David Peterson ever live up to his first round draft status? 

- What is really wrong with the Mets offense with almost every batter doing poorly?   Is it a coincidence that the entire team is going through a full year slump?

- What kind of a hitter/player is Jeff McNeil?  Can he find the missing magic?   Is he a Daniel Murphy?

- After all the bashing Pete Alonso took for his 'poor' year in 2020, is he really better in 2021?

- What is Michael Conforto's statistical ceiling?

- What is Michael Conforto's next contract ceiling?

- While we all were optimistic in April that 2021 would be the Mets best year in a long time, it has proven to be anything but.   How far away is this team from winning?

- Back in June when the Mets got to 10 games over .500, it seemed that they were playing with a lot of character and energy with many last or late inning rallies.   That all has changed after the all-star break.  Now they seem to be flat and energy-less.  Did they go down with Lindor?   Something else?   Or was it my imagination that they actually looked like a pretty good team at one point? 

- Is Brandon Nimmo a useful player going forward?   With only four homers on the year but an OPS north of .810, is that good enough to be a starting outfielder?

- Is Tylor Megill a long term member of the rotation?    Does he need a little rest?  The pitches that resulted in a couple of the homers he gave up the other night looked really flat - no movement on them at all.    He has thrown a lot of innings of late (for him).   I think I saw someone suggest that he be shut down  .. perhaps that would be the best?  

There are many more questions popping up daily, but I'll save some for later.   Every player on the roster could be included.     

3 comments:

Reese Kaplan said...

The Conforto situation is surprisingly wide open. His 2021 season has been abysmal yet former All Stars under 30 with his kind of power are not exactly chopped liver. Someone is going to be willing to offer him a decent contract for a year or two to prove himself but I don't see the long term megadeal in his immediate future. I'm thinking perhaps as high as $35 million for two years -- $17.5 per year. Then again, I am frugal and don't think you overpay for someone coming off a wasted season with a huge financial reward.

Megill has been a very pleasant surprise and impresses me more in his short stay as a Met than has David Peterson. Shutting down Megill isn't a bad thought once they are ready to concede missing the postseason. I don't know who would take his starts, but that's another pebble to kick down the road another day.

Bob W. said...

I don't know what the situation with Rocker was, but I do believe that the 2021 amateur draft was a complete bust for the Mets. They put all of their eggs in one basket, and then hurled it off a cliff. Kind of makes me feel bad for Mack. I know it's a labor of love to evaluate potential draft picks, but to do it for an entire year and watch that happen would drive me bonkers.

As for Conforto, one theory I read, which I think is plausible, is that Boras will try to get him a one-year deal to play his home games in a more hitter-friendly park to build his value. Philly or Cincy?

Tom Brennan said...

Reese, I would consider Adam Oller as a call up. His last half dozen starts have been extraordinary.