8/26/21

SAVAGE VIEWS – Blasts from the Past

 

August 26, 2021

It’s been a wild and unpredictable year.  No one could have forecast the historic level of injuries and the general lackluster play of the Mets going into 2021.

I started sharing my thoughts on the Mets in October 2020.  Clearly I had some very strong opinions.  Here’s a sampling of what I wrote over the past 10 months.

One of my first posts was on retaining Luis Rojas.  I recommended that he be retained but I said “Hard to detect in-game strategy. Hit and run, attempted steals, aggressive base running was not seen in abundance. Seems to be a passive approach to the game”.  Not much has changed in 2021.

On October 20th I recommended we sign either LeMahieu or Justin Turner to shore up the right side of the lineup.  Suggested trading any of Dom, JD, Nimmo and Gimenez to address the need for starting and relief pitching. Also, offer Stroman a QO. 

My October 29th post recommended signing either Jackie Bradley of Kevin Pillar to patrol CF.  Also pass on bringing Trevor Bauer on board.  Reiterated my feeling that JD needed to be replaced by a strong right hand bat who can play a solid third base.  I was not in favor of trading for Lindor as it would require dealing top prospects.  Of course the deal was subsequently made.  Last time I checked Rosario was having a good season with the Indians hitting in the mid .280s. 

November 3rd I predicted that the 2021 team will be built to win. I saw them resigning Stroman and one or two top free agents.

My Dear Santa post of December 10th asked for the Mets to acquire either George Springer or JT Realmuto.  I recommended we pass on any proposed trade for Lindor.

According to my January 28th post the Mets were in on Trevor Bauer.  I raised concerns about his moral compass “after it was revealed he sent inappropriate tweets to at least two women”.

February 18th I was concerned about the lack of depth in the starting rotation.  I felt the Braves were the class of the division although the Mets had closed the gap.  I projected the Mets, at best, to be competing for the wild card.

March 11th I predicted the Mets staff ERA for 2021 would be around 3.5. 

March 18th I predicted the Mets would score around 5.25 runs per game. 

April 1st I was worried about the caliber of the relief pitching and that it was unlikely for most Mets starters to make it into the seventh inning.  As it turns out our bullpen is showing signs of wear and tear. 

May 15th I questioned why we always seem to wind up with a player like Almora who followed such luminaries as Keon Broxton and Aaron Altherr.

July 1st I suggested that maybe it’s time to consider a total makeover of the team with no one being untouchable.  I was especially concerned about Dom and McCann.

July 8th I wrote about the Misfit and that Rojas does not seem to be a fan of McNeil.  It looks as though McNeil will be a bench player for the balance of the year.

July 15th “I can see the season going south very quickly”.

August 5th I declared the season over.  Did not care for the Baez trade.  I know he is a dynamic player but I don’t see him as the right fit.  I rather not have someone who strikes out a third of the time.

Well, that’s it for now.  You will be hearing from me from time to time.

Ray

4 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Ray, lots of prescient calls. I was with you on the offense, but I was thinking 5 runs per game, based on upgrades with McCann and Lindor. Boy was that way off. Offensive bums.

Reese Kaplan said...

I think they can get five runs in a game that lasts about 35 innings.

Gary Seagren said...

The thing that really scares me is the talk about signing Baez OMG. The offense is sooo bad and last night just really does emphasize how bad as the Giants really tried to give us the game and we blew it very sad indeed.

Tom Brennan said...

GARY, EVERY TEAM HAS TO SEE THE huge BAEZ STRIKEOUT FLAW. Sorry about caps. Chris Davis went totally off the rails with Ks after he was signed. Baez possibly need a one year signing to show he isn't in a downward spiral?