10/15/11

Q and A with Mack and... RP Jeff Kaplan

Mack:  Folks, we’re talking today to someone I feel will be pitching out of the Queens pen in a couple of seasons, pitcher Jeff Kaplan. Morning Jeff. You and I haven't talked before so I would like to go back to that first day you throw your first professional pitch. Walk us through that?

Kaplan:  It was a great feeling, I believe I came in for 2 innings against Aberdeen at home in front of 7500 people. Always will be a memory I keep with me throughout my professional career.

Mack:  There seems to be a decent connection between the Mets and CSF... is there anyone out there we should be keeping an eye on?

Kaplan:  To tell you the truth I haven't kept up with the players at CSF, but they are always a good program with a ton of talent, and I am sure they will have a lot of players who get a chance at the next level.

Mack:  I'm a big fan of yours, but 2011 at Lucy was the first time you seemed to be used as a closer. Do you see your future role in this position?

Kaplan: I enjoy pitching late in games and love closing games out, but in the long run I think my future would be more of a 7th or 8th inning guy. I just want to get in there and pitch, no matter the situation.

Mack:  Okay, we had a bad June... anything mechanical or was it just the role of the dice?

Kaplan:  Yeah, I think I got into my head a little too much. Lost some confidence, but I think it was good for me to experience the ups and downs of being a reliever.

Mack:  I'm sure you'll open in Binghamton in April. Is there anything in particular you prepare yourself for that miserable April weather there?

Kaplan:  I am not sure that I have ever pitched in weather that cold, so I am not sure how to prepare. Hopefully I will start the year there and figure out how to deal with cold weather.

Mack:  Lastly, there obviously has been too much change in minor league pitching coordinators. Does this affect you directly or do you work mostly with your individual team coach?

Kaplan:  I think it's something that you have to know is going to happen and that the movement of people is part of the business. All these people are there to help the progression of your career, but in the end you are the one toeing the rubber.

Mack:  Jeff, thank you very much for your candid answers and we got your back during the 2012 season.

More info on Jeff:


Kaplan was an 11th round draft pick by the Mets in 2008, out of Irving Valley College and Cal State Fullerton.
In September 2008, Patrick Hickey wrote on:  Jeff Kaplan- After losing his spot in the rotation and battling arm fatigue, Kaplan became a commodity out of the bullpen. He’s got a great repertoire and is even better at maintaining control on the mound, which in my mind, make him someone who can definitely survive at higher levels. Add in a laid back personality and a few months to rest his tired arm and I think 2009 may be the best season of his young career. - Final Grade- B+
Kaplan was a starter in school and remained so for the lion share of his first three years with the Mets. Through 2010, his combined stats are: 10-9, 2.72, 1.23, 36-G, 22-starts.
It was decided in the 2010/2011 off-season to make Kaplan a full time relief pitcher. He was assigned to return to St. Lucie, where he went 3-5, 3.39 last year in 10 games, 9 starts.
4-13-11: - Stock Up: - Closer Jeff Kaplan (0.00) now has four saves in four opportunities. I talked to him today after the game and he told me that he is thrilled with his new job. Kaplan was a very talented starter that went through some injury problems that cost him the 2010 season. It also cost him his place in the pecking order of starters, even though his lifetime stats for the Mets, as a starter, are: 10-9, 2.72, 1.23.  Remember… 9 teams… 225 players… 3 slots…   you can’t miss a beat.
5-11-11: - RP Jeff Kaplan (1.53) pitched two more scoreless innings in a non-save opportunity (8-saves). This is his 15th appearance of the year and he looks like he will eventually be promoted to Binghamton. He was a successful starter for the Mets for three affiliates in three seasons (10-9, 2.72, 1.23, 36-G, 22-starts), but turned full relief this season.
5-24-11: - This was Jeff Kaplan’s worst outing of the young season. 1.2-IP, 4-ER, 2-HR. He went into this game with eight saves and no home runs (18-G) given up for the entire season. His earned runs increased 80% in one game. We’ll write this one off as a bad day.
6-30-11: - Roster moves on Thursday included RP Jeff Kaplan, who was bumped up from St. Lucie to Binghamton. Many thought he would be promoted earlier; however, I’m not sure he deserved this. He was unhittable in April (0.71), but that was about it, going 5.28 in May and a whopping 9.39 in June. Not too many people get promoted with these kind of numbers so this might be a good representation of the lack of depth in the organization when it comes to relief pitchers.
8-30-11: - 59 – RP Jeff Kaplan – Kaplan was a workhorse for St. Lucie this season (2-5, 3.51, 44-G) and was recently promoted to AA where he’s finding his way. He’s been in the Mets system for four years and his ERA over that period has been 3.45, 2.45, 0.00 (1 game after DL), and 3.58. Kappy will return to Binghamton for the beginning of 2012, but will probably finish the season in Buffalo. ETA: 2014 Mets bullpen candidate


No comments: