2/6/12

Mack Ade - I Could Be Wrong, But…




·        Micah Owings signed a one-year, $1mil deal with the Padres. 29-years old… 2011: 8-0, 3.57, 1.25, in 33-GP. What am I missing here? First Jason Marquis, then Jeff Francis, now Owings. I mentioned in a comment this week that I was talking with a scout and he said some people think that the Mets don’t want to sign any of these “old dude free agents” because they would have no plan if any of them did well. I know that sounds crazy, but please tell me why this guy wasn’t worth a one-year deal?
                Okay, he has failed as a starter, but so did Mario Rivera.

·        But the Mets need to cut anywhere from 25-30 players before spring training opens. This represents the amount of players that were in the past assigned to the 9th affiliate, the GCL Mets. I expect many of the Latin players that would normally be assigned to this now defunct team, to slow down and play additional time in the Dominican Republic. Still, prospects will get visas and up to 50 draft picks will arrive in June. 
There could be some familiar names on this next set of cuts.

·        Ex-Mets on the move:
o   LHP Casey Fossum  signed a minor league deal with Baltimore.
o   The Astros signed OF/1B Mike Hessman, who played last year in Japan

·        The Edwin Jackson signing impressed me. Washington obvious wants to make a 2012 run for one of the two wildcard slots, and Jackson overnight becomes the best SP5 in the division.  Look for John Lannan to be moved for a centerfielder.

·        I see that Comcast and Time Warner are kicking in for four of the minority shares of the Mets. Trust me...  this wouldn't be happening if they had a ton of outside people wants to own a small piece of something run badly and eventually totally sold.


·        It pissed me off this week when Baseball Cube changed their draft information and got rid of the amount of money each player received as a signing bonus. I was just about to start a post, proving that the Mets have made over-slot offers in the past, but now I can’t without knowing the monies signed for. Oh well.


·        I have to give credit to one of our “anonymous” posters for reminding us about catcher Jeff Diehl. Diehl was projected to go on to college so, like SS Phillip Evans, was bypassed by many teams in the early rounds. The Mets did take him last year in the 23rd round, gave him a $135,000 signing bonus, and scooped him up.

His local rag wrote on signing day:

  Jeff Diehl has had quite the run during baseball season. In June, Cranston West captured the Division I state championship, defeating North Kingstown, and he was drafted by the New York Mets. In the first week of August, Diehl, a catcher, was a key member of Cranston's Senior Legion baseball team, being named MVP as his team captured the state championship, defeating Cumberland.  This week, Diehl has decided to pursue his professional career and opted not to attend college. He officially signed a contract with the New York Mets. The Mets drafted him in the 23rd round of the 2011 MLB Draft. He put up impressive stats for both of the teams. For the Falcons, he batted .537, drove in 27 runs, and had a .890 slugging percentage. During the Senior Legion baseball season he batted .528, belted eight home runs, and had 42 RBI's in 28 games. His slugging percentage was an unbelievable 1.000, and his on base plus slugging percentage was 1.593.  

·        I understand the pain that Josh Hamilton is going through. I haven’t had a drink since 7-3-1986, but I have had three relapses with prescription drugs. Alcohol and/or drug addiction is a lifelong battle and I hope that baseball world gives him another chance, similar to the ones my family and friends have given me.






No comments: