2/17/14

Craig Mitchell -- "The Curly Fry Indicator"



Back in 1996, my good friend Mark Whitaker and I went to a game at Shea.  We got awesome seats down the right field line just behind first base.   We got there pretty early in hopes of snagging some foul pops and liners during BP, but no such luck.  We stood right down on the gate leading to the field yelling and conveying our support for the Mets as they worked out.  We were settled in with our cokes and curly fries.  You know those calorie laden fries that are spicy and come in a little Met helmet.  Well, walking in from right field were Butch Huskey and Carl Everett, they stopped by us and we actually had a conversation. Even though I had been an infrequent visitor in the Met locker-room as press, this was the first time I actually engaged a few players as a fan. It was a totally different dynamic.

Now I’d be lying if I said I remember what we talked about, but I’m sure it was all good natured go and get them kind of baseball fan stuff. Mark was up on which schools players came from and might have engaged Huskey or Everett about their High School roots.  But at one point, for some unknown reason Mark holds out his Met helmet of curly fries and goes….”Curly fries?”  Huskey dug right in. Everett held up his hand and said a polite no thanks. Huskey shrugged while downing a fist full of fries and said. “I’m not startin’ today”. After they walked away, Mark turned to me and said. “This Huskey kid is not going to make it.” I was like “Why?” He said “He doesn’t care about his body, he’s not focused on playing. He won’t last.”  Mark was a lot of things. But he had a very keen sense of people and sports and darn if it wasn’t right. Huskey left the Mets after 1998 and bounced around and never became a star. Everett, however did achieve high levels of success, but to be fair, his attitude got the best of him and he didn’t have the career he might have had as well.
From then on, whenever Mark and I talked about new Met talent, the question would come up at the end of our analysis. “Would he take the fries?”  A yes meant he was destined for oblivion or would be at best a bench player and probably end up in Japan.  A no, meant this kid’s got the drive, he’s got the stuff.  Believe it or not, we were right more than we were wrong.  Now, I would not be so bold as to do this analysis of all the current Mets.  For one, Mark was much sharper at it than me and two I’m just too close to the source material. But I’d love to share my thoughts on previous Mets. The first is one that I got wrong and Mark got right.

Jason Bay. I loved this signing. I thought, finally, the Mets went out and got a stud power hitter in his prime and the Mets were going to soar. Whitaker’s response “Fries”.  What?  “Fries! He’s fat. He’s got a huge contract, has nothing to prove he’s going to melt in the New York heat." I fought him on this one.  No way would Bay grab the fries. He busts his tail on the field; he was rookie of the year. He stepped in for Manny Ramirez and had an MVP caliber year with the Red Sox. “Nope, fries!” came the response.  Well, here it is five years later. Jason Bay – ate the fries. He did bust his hump though. He went down fighting.

Roberto Alomar – Me, he has plenty in the tank! He will stabilize the Met infield.  Whitaker, “Fries”. This one stunned me. Whit was a huge fan of Alomar. He had literally 100 of his rookie cards.  Whit’s reasoning; “No one lets a hall of fame caliber second baseman go if he’s got something left.” I really thought Whit was crazy. But…..ultimately – Roberto Alomar – ate the fries.

Mo Vaughn – Me “Fries”, Whitaker “Fries” – No brainer there, all of New York saw that one coming.

Johan Santana – Whit “Fries”, me, no way. I won this one. I was confident that Johan was going to thrive in New York. Frankly, before injuries started to mount he was exactly as advertised. Whit used to debate me on this one.  I wouldn’t hear of it. In the past twenty years the Mets have had three pitchers with the absolute heart of a fierce warrior on the mound.  1) Matt Harvey 2) Al Leiter 3) Johan Santana.  (Four if you count Billy Wagner).

Francisco Rodriguez – Whit “Fries”, Me – No way. I lost this one big time. Whit’s reasoning was very sound.  No closer is EVER the same pitcher after breaking the record for saves in a season. He cited Bobby Thigpen and Eric Gagne as examples.  While F-Rod wasn’t an immediate bust, he certainly went head first into the Met helmet and had his share of --- FRIES. He also punched out his Father-in Law just for good measure too.

Andres Torres – Me “Fries”, Whit “Fries” Not only did Andre eat the fries; throw some chili on them too.

The list goes on and on.  I’ve lost track of Whit recently. I hope it’s temporary, but I know wherever he is he’s still evaluating players with the same sharpness and astute eye I came to admire. So, I will give my pocket evaluations on some current Mets……just for fun.

Curtis Granderson – Real deal. Most people are saying “Fries” but I see a leader in Grandy. I think he will adjust his game and take his best strides being the best player he can for this team. I will not be surprised if he makes the all-star game. I think he, along with David Wright can be the veteran force and be combined leaders of young team that will get better and better. NO FRIES for Mr. Granderson.

Travis d’Arnaud – Real Deal.  I think this kid wants to show in 2014, that he was worth the trade of a Cy Young award winning pitcher.  I am confident while he will not be the second coming of Mike Piazza or Gary Carter, immediately; he will get stronger as the year progresses and will provide the Mets bang for their buck.  However, I firmly believe Whit would say “Fries” on this one…with some hesitance.

Ike Davis – Ok, this is the big daddy. Whit would say “Fries.”  I just can’t.  I still believe in Ike. I think the influence of Granderson in the clubhouse and a hot spring can launch Ike into the kind of season we expect of him at 1st.  Granted, this is his last chance, but I feel he has too much of a high side NOT to give him one more benefit of the doubt. As I said before, if Ike’s not in a groove by May 1st….”FRIES”

Bartolo Colon – Well…looks can be deceiving. I say REAL DEAL. Colon was not meant to be imported as an ace, he’s an innings eater, a place keeper with some savvy to hold Matt Harvey’s place until he's ready. At the same time he brings a winning veteran sensibility to the mound that Gee, Wheeler, Niese, and later Syndergaard and Montero can benefit from.  Now, I’m sure Bartolo will eat some fries this year, but it’ll be in the clubhouse, not on the field.

In this day and age of high priced, long term contracts you would think players would always try to keep themselves in peak condition ready to play and perform at a top level. Let’s be honest, Butch Huskey taking a handful of curly fries isn’t the reason he never achieved all-star status, but Whit saw something in that one impulsive act. But I believe what really made the difference was what Butch Huskey said, that said it all.  “I’m not startin’ today.”  Very defeatist and showed that he felt that unless he was starting perhaps being his best wasn’t worth his time.  A ballplayer has to always be mentally and physically ready to play.  The edge makes a huge difference. Whit pointed that edge out to me. I am getting better at noticing it. I think. Or maybe……. Craig Mitchell  “Fries”

No comments: