10/17/17

Tom Brennan - MY METS PROSPECTS: # 27 RONNY MAURICIO




Tom Brennan - MY METS PROSPECTS: # 27 RONNY MAURICIO

I needed at least one 16 year old who hadn't yet played pro ball in my Top 30 Prospects list.  All the other 16 year olds were attending sweet sixteen parties. So I picked the one, the only Ronny Mauricio (you can decide how recent the picture above was, and if it is even him - I ain't squealin').

I know nothing about this kid, other than: 

1) he is highly regarded (and no doubt the best player in his high school); 

2) the Mets signed him for $2.1 million, which I wish someone had done for me when I was 16 (I'd have taken $2.1 thousand, believe me); 

3) he is a currently skinny 6'3" switch hitting shortstop expected to play strong defense and hit well.  

4) He most likely does not hold a doctoral degree, and he also is a male, according to published reports.

His long term ability to stay at SS, they opine, and to hit with more power are unclear.  But the sense is he can stay at SS, will hit, and hit with power eventually, but is not a speedster,

My guess is he grows to 6'4", weighs 200 when he turns 20, which is important because he hopefully will be ready by age 20 or 21 to play for the Mets in the infield or outfield.

Is it really important for me to have a more formed opinion on this guy before he turns 17?  

I don't think so, but I'd like to hear yours on Mauricio, dear reader.  This is after all a two way street here.  LET YOUR VOICES BE HEARD!!

That's all I have to say about that - anything else, ask the chocolates man himself, Forrest Gump.    And say hey to Lieutenant Dan for me, will ya?

6 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Surprise sweet 16 party, anyone?

Mack Ade said...

Tom -

I changed your pic to a kewl one I had of him on signing day.

Here's the problem I always have with these guppy shortstops the Mets keep throwing dinero at... they can not hit anything other than a single and they are not great runners on the bases.

How many great fielding .230 shortstops can you have batting eighth in the lineup?

Tom Brennan said...

Mack - to your question:

How many great fielding .230 shortstops can you have batting eighth in the lineup?

Answer: For the Mets, as many as possible, and a lot more than other teams. They also like light hitting .230 type SS who can't field well. My upcoming series on DRAFT DUDS, which excludes their international signings that overly focus on light hitting shortstops while signing the wrong Guerrero, shows they undervalue power arms and power bats. They like guys mostly with mediocre ceilings, is how I figure it.

Hopefully, this kid's primary asset will turn out to be a power bat. His skinny 6'3" at age 16 could become 210 pounds by age 21. Hit the gym, Ronny.

Reese Kaplan said...

That's the reason people are swooning over Rosario. The hope is that the Mets finally landed their own Barry Larkin who, in a typical year, would deliver 15 HRs, swipe 28 bases and hit .295.

Eddie from Corona said...

barry larkin type would be amazing...
Its still so early ...hoping he has a DIDI type ascension... I have to admit I wasn't impressed with Rosario ... But that can quickly change...

Tom Brennan said...

he will probably play more like Alan Atkin than Barry Larkin