10/20/17

Tom Brennan - MY METS PROSPECTS: #30 TIM TEBOW


Tom Brennan - MY METS PROSPECTS: #30 TIM TEBOW 


Anyone who faithfully read my articles all season (you two or three folks out there know exactly who you are) had to be wondering if I would add a frequent topic of Brennan interest, Tim Tebow, to my Top 30 Prospects List.


WONDER NO MORE - HE MADE IT! 

#30 AND TRYING HARDER.


Yeah, I know his overall season numbers were mediocre: .226/.309/.347 in 126 games.

But I also know that no other prospect in the Mets minors in his first season played more than a handful of games above rookie ball - Tebow played half his season at Full A and the other half at High A St Lucie.

He actually hit like gangbusters for St Lucie too, for a month after his promotion, then went into a deep swoon in August.  My guess is, like a marathoner, he hit the wall late in what was a very long season for him.

He, however, stopped his plane's death spiral and went 9 for his last 35.

I believe he will:

Start out in AA Binghamton in 2018; 

Hit much better than his 2017 results, with more power; 

Get a mid season promotion to Las Vegas and hit there too; 

Get called up by September 2018 with the Mets.

He will lead the minors in drawing fans as he does so, and (Sandy is smiling as I type this) draw thousands of extra fans to Citifield too.  

So see you next September, Timmy my Boy. 

God willing I will be there for your call up game.

I thought my article was done, but a reliable source and erudite fellow  from El Paso forwarded a Fangraphs article to me that I wish to excerpt a bit from:


Tim Tebow will almost certainly get at least a cup of coffee at the major league level; his enormous impact on attendance in the minor leagues, coupled with the attention he got while he was in the NFL, all point toward him having a substantial marketing impact for whichever major league team (likely the Mets) brings him up.


The financial incentive to play Tebow at the major leagues, especially for a team that isn’t risking losing a playoff spot, will largely outweigh the potential negative impact, even if Tebow were to strike out in every at-bat. Surprisingly, if we treat him as if he were a prospect straight out of high school, his first professional season was actually quite respectable.

Further, his approach and underlying metrics all point to a player who looks and feels like a legitimate ball player, the only question being whether he can continue to look like a legitimate ball player as the level of competition increases.

If Tebow keeps improving as a baseball player, there is no question in my mind he’ll get at least 100 plate appearances in the majors.


Sounds like me, don't it??  We're out there, people!

The author,  Eli Ben-Porat, did a very detailed analysis on this.  If interests, here's the link:

15 comments:

Reese Kaplan said...

Well, they do need an outfielder while Conforto heals...😂

Tom Brennan said...

"I'm ready, willing, and able, sir!"

2017 was enough to show he warrants a legit chance in 2018. 2018 is the year to show whether he has the chops to make the big show.

Mack Ade said...

I do believe that Tebow will make an appearance in 2018 because I also believe that the Mets will once again be fighting it out with the Phillies for last place and they will need as many circus acts as they can find to attract fans into the home seats.

Unknown said...

Honestly I disagree @Mack I doubt Timmy T will even sniff Binghamton .. if he is promoted to the big club the. It’s a $ grab

Tom Brennan said...

Ed, I have no doubt Tebow starts at Binghamton next season. Why? A lack of good outfield hitters. I have felt really bad for certain infielders trying to get consistent playing time in a crowd of similarly talented guys. The outfield lacks a similar glut.

On Tebow, his challenge level for a first year was extraordinary. The only guy pushed almost as fast was Pete Alonso.

A good hitter coming out of a full college career, Kevin Kaczmarski played his debut season in Kingsport and hit in the .350's. In his 2nd year, he split between Columbia and St Lucie like Tebow did in his first year. He hit better (.280) but he had the benefit of a full college career and a full rookie league season. Tebow had neither. So I would not be surprised if he takes a leap, maybe a big one, in year 2.

Eddie from Corona said...

No you didnt put this out there... here's to the next draft to hopefully put and end to this... Nothing against Tebow...he is a great human being... we need more like him out there... he just isn't a Professional athlete... well not in Football or baseball... But the Knicks need help... No i am joking...

Tom Brennan said...

The Mets need a point guard to replace Jeremy Pin and have called Tebow.

Just to be clear, if I had to choose between Tebow and Judge, the choice would be easy....

Mack Ade said...

And... he's too old to be labeled a prospect (over 24)

I am old school on this.

And BTW, Michael Mayer says being 'old school' makes me a racist.

Mack Ade said...

Ed -

I only said Tebow would see Queens, probably in Sept), after they missed another playoff.

Unknown said...

Oh I know but I’m still dubious about that ... they lose whatever credibility they have left if they pull a stunt like that

Tom Brennan said...

Tim Tebow is really only 24. He started his NFL career at 14, with a forged birth certificate. So he is still young enuf to be a prospect :)

Mack, once we reach a certain age, old school ain't so old any more!

No matter what we say, Tebow's progress (or lack thereof) is all on Tebow.

Reese Kaplan said...

Don't start, Tom, lest Mack be called a birther regarding Tebow's ancestry and DOB.

Tom Brennan said...

Reese, I have it on good sources that Tim Tebow was born in Kenya.

Unknown said...

Early season in Binghamton is a beast at least give him a chance and start him in Lucie then the big club and lets face it can he be worst than Campbell, Mayberry De Aza and they certainly didn't put fannies in the seats? Besides the Wilponzies need the $$$$ poor soles.

Joe DeCaro said...

Mack, can you please provide any evidence that Mike said being old school is racist?

That's quite an accusation.

Being old school myself, Mike has never ever acted like or ever intimated that I was racist.

Quite the contrary, I've had nothing but a wonderful working relationship that flourished into a friendship and further evolved into him being my second in command on MMO.

And, my mostly old school staff all speak highly of him as a writer, analyst and executive editor on both my sites.

My opinion is that you completely misunderstood something, but I'll wait to see your evidence of this highly charged allegation.

Later.