12/8/22

Tom Brennan - 2016 Mets Quiz Questions!


Lots of Mets deals, which others will write and comment on in Mack’s Mets. 

If the fine Nimmo leaves, just remember that roughly 10 Mets hitters in 2022 combined for 1,269 painful ABs,hitting .204. 23% of all Mets ABs. 

But when I looked at FANGRAPHS for Alvarez, Baty, Vientos and Mauricio, 1,520 projected MLB ABs, 80 HRs, .235.  

So…if that happens…is the offense good? I’d say yes.

QUIZ: 2016 was a scramble to the Wild Card with a 1 game, disappointing exit. 

1. Which 2 pitcher call-ups (in July and August) had lousy ERAs that year in AAA Las Vegas, but were 9-4, 2.50 combined during the Mets' drive to the Wild Card?

2. Which September call up was a .300+ minor leaguer career hitter and hit .333 in 105 at bats in the Mets' stretch drive?

3. Which reliever had 80 outings and was 4-2, 1.97?

4. Which reliever remarkably saved 51 of 56 for the Mets?

5. Who had more wins Bartolo Colon and Noah Syndergaard, or Jake deGrom and Matt Harvey?

6. Which call up proved the adage "quit while you're ahead" had merit, as he went 3-0, 0.52 in April, but was 0-8 the rest of the season?

7. Who fanned 75 more hitters than Jake deGrom that season?  

8. Who led the all other teammates by 24 or more RBIs?

9. Who was the only Met to steal more than 5 runs?

10. Who set the Mets HR record, which stood until Francisco Lindor surpassed it this year?


ANSWERS

1. Seth Lugo and Robert Gsellman, providing the pitching juice to drive the Mets to the post-season.

2. TJ Rivera, a career .304 hitter before injury derailed him.

3. Addison Reed.

4. The once-upon-a-time great reliever, Jeurys Familia.

5. Jake and Matt were a combined 11-18; Colon and Thor were 29-17.

6. Logan Verrett.

7. Noah Syndergaard.

8. Yoenis Cespedes had 86 RBIs, despite playing just 132 games.

9. Jose Reyes swiped 9 bases for the Mets in 60 games.

10. Asdrubel Cabrera hit .280 with 23 HRs in 141 games.


P.S. BILLY WAGNER BLUES

Ryan Glasspiegel had an article in the NY post today, saying the following about former Met Billy Wagner - about a subject I have been as equally perplexed as Billy, and written so in these columns - namely, why is this BASEBALL GREAT not in the Hall of Fame?  Objectively, I do not see how he has not been enshrined there - he was terrific, period:

Billy Wagner thinks subjective opinion is keeping him out of the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Earlier this week, Wagner joined Jon Zaghloul on “Sports Talk Chicago,” and the former All-Star closer gave his thoughts on why has not been enshrined in Cooperstown.

“I don’t know,” he said. “You’re really asking something of me that I’m not comfortable with because my thought of Hall of Fame is all based on numbers. I can’t do nothing about the numbers that are out there. I don’t know how to build my case when the case is based on numbers … I don’t want to say that it’s a personal thing because you really can’t say I wasn’t good if my numbers are what they are.”

7 comments:

Mack Ade said...

Tom

I enjoy these posts but I don't even try to answer them. My memory isn't what it used to be these days.

I just scroll down and check out the answers as I read on.

Tom Brennan said...

Mack, that is what I always do. I wrote this one some weeks ago, an I have to scroll down myself LOL

Reese Kaplan said...

Wagner is indeed getting screwed by not being in Cooperstown. They let in good but not great players quite often, the so-called compilers like Don Sutton. Then when you have an unhittable reliever like Wagner, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Tom Brennan said...

Reese, couldn't agree more. And Rivera got in with what % of the vote? 101%? Hall voters seem arbitrary and capricious.

Rds900 said...

It's a shame politics gets in the way of deserving candidates, ie. Curt Schilling

Tom Brennan said...

Ray, I listened to a short Bill O'Reilly clip today, in which he noted that when some very well meaning non-politicians of a certain political persuasion throw their hats in the ring, the attacks are relentless, which 1) damages that candidacy, and 2) greatly discourages those who might consider running.

Rds900 said...

Bill was right.