6/4/13

MLB Draft Insider -Final Mock


No.1; Houston Astros
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Jonathan GrayRHPOklahoma$7.7904M
This selection is still very much in the air; and it likely will be all the way up until draft day. Colin Moran is very much in play, and Kris Bryant is still being discussed. At the end of the day though, I still think Houston takes Gray, but absolutely nothing would surprise me at this point.

No.2; Chicago Cubs
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Mark AppelRHPStanford$6.7084M
All spring long, we have heard that Chicago had narrowed their options to Appel and Gray, with the Cubs selecting whichever right-hander the Astros passed on. I still think that’s the likely scenario, with the only possible caveat being that Appel prices himself out of the Windy City. I don’t think that’s going to happen, and if the Cubs are lucky enough to get Appel they’ll have a guy who can compete for a spot in their rotation as soon as next year.


No.3; Colorado Rockies
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Kris Bryant3B/RFSan Diego$5.6264M
The Rockies have been attached to bats all spring, but if Appel or Gray were to fall into their laps I think they’d jump all over it. Bryant is the best hitter in this class, so this would be a very nice selection for the Rockies. I’ve also heard Austin Meadows, Moran and Dominic Smith as possibilities here.

No.4; Minnesota Twins
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Kohl StewartRHPSt. Pius X High School (Tex.)$4.5444M
I think Stewart is — and should be — the selection, but I’m not as confident about this as I was a few weeks ago. The Twins are still very much considering Reese McGuire with the fourth pick, and I think they would consider Kris Bryant if he fell to this spot. Minnesota also would likely snag Gray if he were to fall to this point. 

No.5; Cleveland Indians
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Colin Moran3BNorth Carolina$3.787M
The only way Moran would fall any lower than this is if Cleveland has their choice between he and Bryant, as I think the Indians would likely select Bryant in that situation. This is as high as I’ve heard Clint Frazier mentioned, but I think they still prefer to go the college route, as they have for so many years.

No.6; Miami Marlins
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Austin MeadowsOFGrayson High School (Ga.)$3.5165M
I have had D.J. Peterson in this spot the last couple of mock drafts, but it looks like that isn’t as likely at this point. Meadows was outstanding in their private workout, and it would fit in with the Marlins preference for high-school players over their history. Braden Shipley is likely next on their board, and this would be the absolute lowest Gray or Bryant could fall. Kohl Stewart also could go here if the Twins did pass.

No.7; Boston Red Sox
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Braden ShipleyRHPNevada$3.2465M
Boston is all over the place, and one of the tougher reads at this point. I’ve heard them connected to Frazier, but I think the lack of projection makes it unlikely he goes this high. I think Shipley is the best pitcher left on the board, though I’ve also heard them connected to Ryne Stanek and Alex Gonzalez as well. If Meadows is still on the board he’s a consideration as well.

No.8; Kansas City Royals
NamePositionSchoolSlot
D.J. Peterson1BNew Mexico$3.1378M
As tough as it is to get a handle on what Boston will be doing, it’s even more difficult to get a read on the Royals. It appears that the Royals prefer the collegiate route in this year’s class, though I’ve heard both Trey Ball and Frazier at this point as well. This could be Ryne Stanek as well, but his struggles to throw strikes has hurt his stock. I wouldn’t take Peterson this high, but he appears to be very high on several teams boards, including Kansas City.

No.9; Pittsburgh Pirates
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Reese McGuireCKentwood High School (Wash.)$3.0296M
Both the Pirates and Blue Jays have shown a great deal of interest in McGuire, and the only way I see the Pirates passing on him at this point is if someone like Shipley or Moran were still on the board. If McGuire were to go Minnesota, this could be Peterson, Trey Ball or Hunter Renfroe.

No.10; Toronto Blue Jays
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Clint FrazierOFLoganville High School (Ga.)$2.9214M
The Blue Jays haven’t been as tied to Frazier as some other teams have, but I get the feeling Toronto isn’t enamored with anyone available in this year’s class and someone with Frazier’s offensive ability could be very appealing. If McGuire was to get past Pittsburgh I think he’s the pick, and I think Meadows, Ball and J.P. Crawford are all in play as well.

No.11; New York Mets
NamePositionSchoolSlot
Dominic Smith1BSerra High School (Calif.)$2.8403
The Mets will be disappointed that Meadows is off the board in this situation, and I can’t see him getting past New York if he’s available. Smith may have the highest offensive upside of any hitter in this draft, though, and would fit with the organizations recent trent of high-upside prep players. I’ve also heard Renfroe discussed here, as well as Stanek and Shipley.

No comments: