9/12/09

Minors Stuff




Extended Camp:.



Signed: RHP Serguey Linares




Added to 40-man roster: C Josh Thole


Placed on 7-day DL: RHP Tim Stronach, RHP Erik Turgeon, LHP Matias Carrillo, C Jean Blaquiere, 3B Tyler Vaughn, OF Justin Garber, OF Seth Williams


Transferred to 60-day DL: RHP Michael Johnson, 2B James Ewing


Reinstated from DL: C Rogelio Del Campo, C Kai Gronauer, SS Juan Lagares


Placed on temporarily inactive list: RHP Will Morgan, 1B Ike Davis (Team USA), 3B Shawn Bowman (Canada), SS Jonathan Malo (Canada).


http://www.baseballamerica.com/today


New Met:

Full Name: Serguey Linares


Born: February 1,1983 in Pinar del Rio, Cuba


Height: 6-4 Weight: 225 Bats: Right Throws: Right


High School: - College: None


Pitched two years in the Pirates organization… combined 2008/2009 stats: 7-9, 4.70, 39 games, 22 starts, 65-K, 138.0-IP


B-Mets:


Prospect Ike Davis went 3-for-5 with a triple and homer in Team USA’s 9-1 win against Germany in the World Cup at Regensburg, Germany. Davis, a first baseman in the minors, manned right field, which he played at Arizona State.


Top pitching prospect Jenrry Mejia appears likely to join the Mets’ Arizona Fall League contingent, which already includes infielder Ruben Tejada and Davis.




Canada 15 Netherlands Antilles 0 -


Canada had no problems disposing of the Antilles, downing them 15-0 in a game shortened to seven innings because of the ten run rule. Canada scored a big eight spot in the seventh to put the game away. Brett Lawrie, Rene Tosoni and Jonathan Malo went deep for Canada. Matt Kniginyzky went six innings, giving up only one hit and no runs.


Brian Schneider knows he has three weeks remaining as a Met.
"I won't be back," Schneider told the Daily News, accepting that the Mets don't plan to re-sign him. "I'm okay with that. I'll easily get a job next year. I'm not worried about it. I'll get a job and just move on. Guys do that. I'm not going to retire. No way."
Schneider, 32, has started only twice this month and primarily has served as rookie Josh Thole's mentor. Thole, who will play for Caracas in Venezuela this winter, started the first two games of the midweek series against the Marlins. Omir Santos then started Thursday's series finale against lefthander Sean West, and again Friday night in what became a 4-2 loss to the Phillies.


Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2009/09/12/2009-09-12_catcher_.html#ixzz0Qu72bjIE


Daniel Murphy will play first base and DH for Escogido this winter. Moises Alou is GM and part-owner of the team. Ken Oberkfell, who has skippered the Mets’ Triple-A affiliate since 2005, will manage the Dominican club. Josh Thole will play for Caracas in Venezuela.


http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets

Looks like its balance sheet isn’t the only thing with Citigroup Inc.’s name on it that is in need of major work: Citi Field—ironically also taxpayer financed—is also falling apart. Like the wounded team that calls it home, the New York Mets’ brand new stadium sports a high price but has been crumbling since opening day.

The NY Post reports:


the luxury suites at Citi Field are leaky and moldy, tiles have been falling apart, electrical systems are shorting out throughout the building, and concrete panels have fallen off the walls, according to sources who’ve seen the damage. ... The leaks, which sprang last month, have caused extensive mold to spread throughout the luxury suites. ... Sources at the park also say that huge signs have collapsed, outfield drains have clogged and there are numerous faulty air-conditioning systems and electrical outlets.


Mets Alumni:


When it comes to what awaits, Billy Wagner knows the deal.
“I know [the Red Sox] are going to offer me arbitration and of course I’m probably going to turn it down,” said the Red Sox reliever. “I have a million people telling me why would you turn down the option, or why would you do this or that. Well, I didn’t come in this game looking for money, I was just good enough to make some. If I’m going to go chasing money… I haven’t been wise with my money to begin with.”


...“I worked hard to come back as a commitment to (Mets owner Fred Wilpon) knowing what he’s paying me. I wasn’t just sitting around,” Wagner said. “I was doing something to get better. That plus being able to go out and play catch with my kids, that’s what motivated me.
“If something like (closing) falls into my lap I would definitely consider it. It also comes down to being home with my family and doing right by them. I’ve played long enough, whether people think my career was valuable enough to put me in the Hall of Fame, or say I could even be mentioned, that’s up to guys who may not have played or don’t know anything about baseball.”



Attached is the current fruit of a long-term project I've been working on. Namely, a large reference of minor-league-to-major league translations (zMLE or ZiPS MLE). We get back into the late 70s here as going back to then, there's always some source that has the statistics required. Once we get earlier, there are some years that have BB and SO data, generally the most important missing data, but it's extremely spotty and sometimes, not even whole years are filled. Some day, I'll have these going back for as long as there was minor league baseball as SABR's database project proceeds.


So, what value do these have? For me, two things stand out as the most important. First, having these either reminds us or introduces us to fine players that never got a shot in the majors. We live in a time when Japan is a real alternative option for Ken Phelpsers like Greg LaRocca to have lucrative careers playing baseball and when increased understanding of the usefulness of minor league statistics in the mainstream has resulted in fewer guys getting completely overlooked.


Second, more information helps us increase our knowledge of how players age and develop. For systems that look at comparable players, it's quite useful to have more 18-21 year-olds that aren't stars to help us crack, from a statistics standpoint, who will develop and who will not.

No comments: