8/18/11

Q and A: Brant Rustich, Zach Dotson, and Angel Cuan




Flushing Phenom asked: I know this is off article but any word on Brant Rustich. I was really hoping for a big bounce back year from him after surgery. I also see that Zach Dotson has finally resurfaced. What does the new regime think of these two players and any ideas where they start next year. Thanks in advance for responding.


Mack: I haven’t heard back from Brant on my last three attempts to reach him. I’m sure if he had good news to tell me, he would have already made it back to the bump.


His surgery and the story around it would make headlines, but it’s something I chose to keep private for now. Maybe someday.


Regarding Zach, yes, he has come back and his first two outings haven’t gone well: 2-G, 1.0-IP, 6-ER, 0-K, 5-BB, 54.00, 9.00.


All “new” regimes think more of the guys they have brought to the team, but that doesn’t mean they don’t appreciate a player that was there before their arrival that is producing. In the case of Rustich and Dotson, neither have under their watch.


Zach and I had agreed to have lunch right after the announcement of the suspension and we were going to discuss his side of the story, but I decided to pass. The last think he needed was someone in the Mets brass reading quotes about the incident from some blogger dude.


I will say this. Under Omar, most never came back after a suspension.


Hobie asked: “Angel Cuan. Any chance he sees Bingo sometime next year? Lefties are batting 0.196 against him and his 90/11 K/BB in 108 IP still makes me think the Queens pen is viable dream.


Mack: I love Angel as a future reliever, but he’s so small :)  I don’t think you will see him promoted this season. The Sand Gnats need him for the playoffs.

No comments: