9/19/11

Citi Softball for Heroes

Yesterday Citi and the Mets Alumni Association held a charity softball event at Citi Field in Flushing. To read more about the event please read this article from the Examiner. I only learned about the event on Friday, but the moment I did I rallied the family to organize an early birthday present for my father.

My father grew up in Whitestone, NY and... he grew up a Yankee fan. He was a fan of Yogi Berra and Roger Marris and, like most kids his age... The Mick. Then came the fateful year where George Steinbrenner FIRED Yogi Berra as manager of the Yankees. My father was hurt that his team would ignore a player's legacy like that and conveniently was nearby for the recently created Mets franchise. Plus... the Mets made the decision to give Ole' Yogi a job.
While he wasn't always a Met fan he's been devoted to the Mets since then and raised me a Met fan too. Yesterday my father was able to make his debut at Citi Field, playing in this charity tournament. He got to meet Ed Charles, Ed Kranepool, Darryl Strawberry and John Franco. My father may have been the only participant in the game to have been old enough to watch the '69 series. Charles quipped, "What, were you 2 when you watched the '69 Mets?" He was only 15 years off.
Later, Ed Kranepool wanted to play a little first base for one of the teams. "Anyone have a lefty glove?" he asked. My father was quick to raise his. I told him that night, "That's your glove forever now."
Just the ability to toss a ball in the outfield of a professional stadium had it's impact. You don't really get an idea of how big the field IS until you're on it. My father may not have the best day at the plate (at least not compared to the 30 year olds he was playing with) but he did show off some solid fielding to make the players of our: "Old Fart Softball League" proud.
He also got some great behind the scenes looks into Citi Field, including a picture with Strawberry. (Who is only about a foot and a half taller than him.) All and all it was an amazing experience that my family was able to give my father for his sixtieth birthday and one he should remember for another sixty years.

I'd like to thank Citi and the Mets Alumni Association for organizing this fantastic charity event. Not only does it support a worthy cause, but it provides fans a once in a lifetime chance to get close to the game they love.

P.S.
My father's team won their two games: 9-0 and 6-0.

1 comment:

Mack Ade said...

I would have loved to be there. I played Central Park fast pitch for years...