9/22/11

The Keepers: - #16 (12) - OF - Cory Vaughn


16.       Cory Vaughn:

Vaughn was drafted by the Mets in the 4th round of the 2010 draft.
My draft analysis on Vaughn:  Well, it didn’t take long for the Mets to pull one out of their arse. I have basically nothing on Vaughn, other than a couple of 200+ round picks on some early mocks. It is very hard to find anything positive about this guy, other than the fact that his father was named Greg. He seems to swing at anything that’s thrown his way and has been one of the divisional strikeout leaders, both in school and the Cape Cod League. Had 55-K in 180-AB and 180-K in 592-AB career wise. Multiple scouting services have reported that his hitting mechanics are horrible. Projection: Boy, who the heck knows. Personally, I’m pissed that left on the board were RHP Sam Dyson and LHP James Paxton, and, if you wanted a toosy outfielder, what about Cody Hawn or Austin Wilson? Look, I have no problem drafting someone that shows potential, but save these kind of picks until the 15th round. There is no way of projecting any kind of ETA on this kid. Everything I have read said he is not a potential major leaguer. ETA: never  Draft Grade: F

6-30-10: - Vaughn hit his fourth home run of the young Cyclone season Tuesday night and we need to put him on the watch list. Included in the stuff I compiled on him below is my analysis of how I felt about thw Mets picking him. My thoughts were similar to what I originally said a few years ago about Ike Davis, so this should be good news for both the Mets and you fans out there. Sure, there is only 43 at bats, but you have to respect a .651 slugging percentage and a 1.036 OPS.

7-19-10: - It’s not the two hits he got on Monday that got him this stock up… nor is it the fact that one was another home run, which he leads the league in producing. Additionally, it’s not the fact that he now has his batting average up to .291. No, none of that earned him this listing. It was the fact that he had two outfield assists during the game also, throwing out runners at both third and second base. That’s an outfield performance we don’t see very often in the Mets’ minor leagues.
7-31-10: - Vaughn continues to lead the league in home runs, hitting his 10th last night. Seasonal stats are now: .310/.401/.581/.982, with an impressive 21-BB. Vuaghn continues to quiet critics, including myself, and seems a lock on the Sterling Award winner this season for the Clones.

10-8-10: - 2011 Forecast: - Well, we don't have to spend any more time on what Keith Law and I thought of this pick. The bottom line is I was wrong and Vaughn looks like he's a live one. Both he and Darrell Ceciliani made headlines playing the Cyclones outfield last season, but I have only Vaughn going straight to Lucy for the beginning of the 2011 season. That should be some kind of outfield with Vaughn, Matt den Dekker (who plays CF?), and Cesar Puello.

3-9-11: - Up: - OF Cory Vaughn – Vaughn got his first ever ST at bats with the big boys on Tuesday and launched a two-run homer in the eighth inning against the Nationals. He’s years away but continues to covert those of us that thought this was a bag draft pick. I expect him to bypass Savannah and go straight from Brooklyn to St. Lucie next month.

5-16-11: - We’re starting to get to the point in the season where certain players are proving they can play baseball at a level higher than they played last year. Prospects usually don’t have that much difficulty in doing this. OF Cory Vaughn, who wowed everybody (even me) last year in Brooklyn, has already proven he can dominate at the next level in the Sally League. I can speak first hand to his desire to excel, something I didn’t think he possessed when he was drafted out of college. Here is a guy that went into Monday’s game leading the league in OBP (yes, even higher than Bryce Harper) and he honestly feels he has played like sit this year. Amazing. He has been the only consistent bat on the team, and, now that other players are being to hit, we should se a huge increase of RBIs from this true prospect. I had him as the #15 “Keeper”, but I have now moved him up to #10. 

5-27-11: - OF Cory Vaughn A-Savannah: - Vaughn’s season in Savannah this year reminds me a lot of Matt den Dekker’s last season. Both seem to just blow themselves through the competition, which is how you earn yourself a bump up. There really isn’t a list where everyone gets a turn. The ones that go on are the ones that prove their talent stands out above the rest of league they are currently playing in. That’s what Vaughn has already done this year. He’s leading the Sally League in OBP and seems the be able to drive in runners at will. His only shortfall so far this season is the fact that his teammates that hit before him haven’t gotten on base enough. Thursday’s game was a perfect example. CF Darrell Ceciliani led off the game with a walk and Vaughn knocked him in. There was no one on base the next time he got up, so, what the hell, he hit a home run anyway. As you know, I didn’t like this pick, but I was wrong. I was never wrong about the person though. He’s a great kid and he needs to move to Florida.
           8-3-11: - Twitter exchange between Cory and I today: -      SugarFreeCV Cory Vaughn - Growing out the stache #ilookmexican http://t.co/V4FPzxg... MackAde Mack Ade - @ @SugarFreeCV - you look like Hamilton Bennett… SugarFreeCV Cory Vaughn - @ @MackAde i might have to get rid of it now since u compared me to him ha lol

8-21-11: - Observation - #11 – Cory Vaughn – OF – I have Vaughn higher on my prospect list than most of the other pundits out there. All the tools are there and the ceiling is the highest in the system. His one problem seems to be running hot and cold which, on the surface looks like a lack of concentration. It’s not his talent. Cory will most probably be held back for another stint in St. Lucie, where he will be reunited with his outfield buddy, Darrell Ceciliani. I originally had his ETA to possibly join the Bigs along with Matt den Dekker, but his two month slump at Lucy probably (and correctly) pushes him back a year. – ETA:  Opening day 2014 

8-28-11 – Stock Up: - OF Gilbert Gomez – This is weird. I had a working title on my notes page entitled “Is Gilbert Gomez the new Cory Vaughn’? It was going to be a post that was pro-Gilbert, but, at the same time, designed to light a fire under a player I like and is going through his second slump of the year. So, what do BOTH of them do today? They both hit two home runs in the same game. Weird.

1 comment:

Michael S. said...

I hope Vaughn doesn't have to stay in PSL too long next year. I'm hoping he gets to Bingo early, giving him most of the year to work at AA.