9/27/11

Yet Another Alternate Approach

So far...

Plan A: Resign Reyes AND Sign Sabathia, Wilson or Darvish
While this might cost more money than anyone is willing to believe the Wilpon's would invest, it also is the simplest. You maintain the hitting talent on the team establish a new anchor for the rotation and have the base in place for the emergence of Generation 2K in 2013 and 2014.
Plan B: Trade Davis for Pitching and Sign Albert Pujols
People doubt the ability to trade Davis for a TOP pitcher and I agree to an extent, but with his low price tag and some players like Kershaw and Price rapidly losing their status as "bargains" it's not OUT OF THE QUESTION. Then, of course, the Mets are replacing the fans lost by parting with Reyes with Pujols frenzy. At least the team is changing the field's dimensions so getting a slugger is no longer impossible.

Plan C: Sign Reyes and Trade David Wright
Most ways that this option gets cut, the Mets end up with a bevy of prospects and a dismal 2012. That isn't the end of the world. The Mets HAVE talent working its way rapidly to the majors and getting more would increase the chances of finding success when they do.

So... now I have to come up with a Plan D. I suppose this will be easier than Plan E and F etc... but it's becoming a bit daunting. So I'm going to go with something that is hardly revolutionary.

Step One: Remains re-signing Reyes. The kid (can I call him that? Probably not legitimately) means too much to the team and its fans to replace. It sures up the front of the Met lineup and means that the speedy 1, 2, 3 of Reyes, Pagan and Wright is still in place. It also means not having to replace Reyes from a free agent scrap-heap or through a not-so-amazin' farm system of SS's.

Step Two: Closers Closers Closers
I like Bobby Parnell... but I can't tell you that I'm confident he'll EVER be the closer of the future for the Mets. He's got stuff and that is great, but without confidence it doesn't have meaning and that is what counts. So... as Alderson may have indicated already, I think the Mets spend some bank on getting a closer. Now... the first name I list in this capacity is familiar. Heath Bell: he's solid, has a history with the Mets and hasn't exactly looked like much of a "FLUKE" pitching for San Diego. Frankly... Bell scares me, he just seems like the kind of guy who will succeed EVERYWHERE but Queens. I don't have a rational reason for thinking this. So... that brings us to the NEXT option. Jonathan Papelbon: He's a big flashy name who has had success on a BIG-MARKET team and knows about performing on a big stage. He'll come with an unfortunate price tag, but we can't do much about that. There are other closers who would work: "The Return of" Francisco Rodriguez, Matt Capps, Brad Lidge, Francisco Cordero, Frank Francisco etc... Getting a closer shouldn't be hard but that isn't all I want the Mets to do.


If the Mets can't afford to improve their rotation in a significant way... we NEED to have one of the best darned pens in baseball. That means signing a big impact bullpen arm. For THAT job, I nominate Jonathan Broxton. I once had Broxton as the #1 fantasy closer... I suppose I had Gagne there too. I don't believe Broxton will be given the chance to close for a new team, but I DO believe he'll get a decent contract. I'm willing to have that team be the Mets because if we need to toss Big Pelf out there once every 5 games... I want to have guys who can get me through, not only the 8th and 9th but the 7th, 6th... and even 5th. (I have a lot of faith in our starters... don't I?)

Lineup:
1. Jose Reyes, SS (S)
2. Angel Pagan, CF (S)
3. David Wright, 3B (R)
4. Ike Davis, 1B (L)
5. Jason Bay, LF (R)
6. Lucas Duda, RF (L)
7. Josh Thole, C (L)
8. Ruben Tejada, 2B (R)

Bench:
Ronny Paulino, C (R)
Fernando Martinez, OF (L)
Daniel Murphy, Util (L)
Justin Turner, IF (R)
Nick Evans, Util (R)

Rotation:
Johan Santana, LHSP
Jon Niese, LHSP
R.A. Dickey, RHSP
Mike Pelfrey, RHSP
Dillon Gee, RHSP

Bullpen:
Heath Bell, RHRP
Jonathan Broxton, RHRP
Bobby Parnell, RHRP
Manny Acosta, RHRP
Pedro Beato, RHRP
Tim Byrdak, LHRP
Daniel Herrera, LHRP

This is my least favorite option thus far and I'm sure that you can see why. This team is not a fortuitous improvement over the 2011 Mets. ALTHOUGH... if Davis and Wright stay healthy all season and Jason Bay can continue some of the late season hitting he's shown then maybe it's all the Mets need. With Farvey and Familia potentially available for mid-late season call-ups and Collin McHugh and Chris Schwinden ready replacements for injuries... maybe all the Mets NEED is a little more gas in the bullpen tank.

7 comments:

David Groveman said...

Having a better bullpen and a healthy Santana, Davis and Wright could be a significant improvement.

Charles said...

I'm of the opinion, that options A,B,C, & D most likely will not happen. How about a practical option where they sign Reyes, sign a closer thats cheap, and call it a day. Option D was close, but signing a premier closer and an ex premier closer to be the eighth inning guy seems unlikely. Whats more likely is them just signing the ex premier closer to be the closer. That seems to be Alderson's style. Signing mending talents cheap and hoping for the upside to prevail. I personally would love option A, just dont see it ever happening.

David Groveman said...

Thanks Charles,

If I was making plans based on likely outcomes... I'd have finished a while ago if I was only looking at the likely. I'm shooting for options that make the team better (within reason). I'm not signing Reyes and Pujols and Sabathia... I'm basically looking for ways to IMPROVE the team without breaking the bank. I don't think I've listed a LIKELY option yet, but I figured thinking outside the box wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for reading.

Charles said...

Well, then lets just trade our whole team for the Tampa Bay Rays entire team. I think that'll be about 40 million cheaper then what the Mets are paying now and it obviously will improve the team. Consider that Option E.

David Groveman said...

It does lack a certain sense of realism. I get your point. I'm going to keep coming up with extravagant plans though.

Mack Ade said...

You go, Plave...

And Charles, you keep making us be honest...

One thing... the judge ruling on the Madoff suit may be good news for the payroll

Charles said...

I love what Alderson is doing, but want so bad for them to spend as they did back in 05,06, & 07, when they actually had the cash to blow. Now, whenever I see all the CJ. Wilson, Sabathia, Darvish stuff, it just frustrates the shit out of me. I HATE, HATE, HATE knowing over 50 million is coming off the books and it isnt all going right back into the player payroll. They have spent to win ever year up until recently and now it's changed. I'm sick of the loosing and feel like theirs no hope until the farm starts producing. Phlav, I get what your doing with your posts, and like Mack said, maybe now that the Wilpons might not take such a hit in the jugular, maybe they can up their payroll from the stated 110 million, to a really respectable 135 million. With whats in place, spending 135 might actually get this team deep into the playoffs. Then once these great prospects start rolling around in 2013, hopefully championships follow.